Using a Voice/PCM Recorder as a portable source?
Nov 11, 2014 at 8:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

shch13

100+ Head-Fier
As unconventional as it may sound, I did a bit of research and found that there are some voice recorders on the market that can play MP3/AAC and WAV(Linear PCM) files. It doesn't play FLAC but given WAV playback as well as MP3 and AAC, i think it presents an interesting niche for the device.
Memory constraints will occur since most seems to only come with 2 or 4GB, the amount of WAV's will probably only fit 4 albums?

example device: http://www.sony.com.au/product/icd-ux533f

Has anyone ever tried using voice recorders in this manner? Any vouch for sound quality? Or is it really ridiculous to even consider it. 

Nov 11, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #2 of 6
I sometimes use a Roland R-05 as portable player. The headphone out probably isn't very good and there is a lack of functionality for a playback device. The R-05 doesn't remember the last track played and there is only folder browsing. To change the folder, I have to stop the music. On the positive side, there is AB-repeat and I can change the speed of a track without affecting the music's pitch.
As portable player that can also play hi-res files, it's ok. The two standard AA-batteries the R-05 uses last very long (around 30 hours playback time). For a quiet environment, a more dedicated player is probably better. These normally support larger memory cards and have a more adapted UI for playback.

Nov 11, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #3 of 6
Long battery life is a very good thing to have in today's media device. Have to charge my Walkman/ipod every 3 days.
Just found out Olympus has a similar product too with 8GB of memory but since they don't really make audio products I don't think itd be a great bet if i were to consider a recorder.
When you mean a the headphone out probably isn't very good, are you referring to the sound quality or a noisy headphone output?

Nov 11, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #4 of 6
I was referring to the sound quality compared to a similiar priced player like the FiiO X3. Noise is not a problem.
The Roland R-05 is a PCM recorder for musicians. I would consider that one and the Sony PCM-M10 which I don't own but considered several times as 2nd portable recorder. A recorder for speech is probably worse sound quality wise.

Nov 11, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #5 of 6
I see I see.
I can imagine that sound quality woulnd't be THAT great compared to dedicated devices. Given its main purpose for speech recording, I wouldn't imagine that the bass would be very articulate (if i can use that word).
But would it not have a very netural signature, very flat since its meant for speech, or a mid-range-ish/vocal based emphasis?
Won't have to use iTunes either lol.

Nov 12, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #6 of 6

If you don't plan to use the recording features, I'd rather check out the Sansa Clip+ and downconvert hi-res files to 16/44.1 or the new Sony A10 series, which, according to the specs, is excellent. Both can read MicroSD cards and have good sound quality. ... and no iTunes on both cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back