Using a USB Hub
Mar 2, 2016 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

h2rulz

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
My brief search didn't find anything.
So here goes my question.

I"m running out of USB ports on my macbook pro (only has two), and I need to connect it to two headphone amps (Schiit Vali 2, Centrance mini).

I'm assuming a powered USB hub will do the job, or is a powered hub even necessary as the Vali 2 doesn't need to draw power?

Thanks!

Mar 3, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #2 of 10

I"m running out of USB ports on my macbook pro (only has two), and I need to connect it to two headphone amps (Schiit Vali 2, Centrance mini).

I'm assuming a powered USB hub will do the job, or is a powered hub even necessary as the Vali 2 doesn't need to draw power?

The Vali2 doens't even have USB ports, period. Why do you think it will bother with USB?

At the same time, what DAC are you using? The Vali2 should be used with a clean line level signal, since it doesn't have its own DAC. The Mini-M8 doesn't seem to have a line out port either.

Mar 3, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #3 of 10
You are absolutely right the Vali 2 doesn't have usb ports.
I somehow overlooked the modi 2 uber that's clearly sitting in between the two.

So, I need one usb for the modi 2 uber (connected to the Vali 2), and another for the centrance dac/amp.

Mar 3, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2rulz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So, I need one usb for the modi 2 uber (connected to the Vali 2), and another for the centrance dac/amp.

Not sure how the OS will see them on the hub, ie, whether it will even "see" two separate output devices on that hub.

Jut out of curiosity, why would you even need two DACs in the same system? Just use the Mini-M8 - I mean what headphone will you be using to make the added clutter well worth having the option to use the Vali2 instead of the Mini-M8 to drive it? Or given the Mini-M8 is a portable why not just keep it in the laptop bag when you're home?

Mar 3, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #5 of 10

Here, follow this link. I own the 4 port, powered model. The build quality appears to be excellent. So far no problems what so ever. 
http://www.xcellongear.com/listing?category=23786

Mar 3, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #6 of 10

Not sure how the OS will see them on the hub, ie, whether it will even "see" two separate output devices on that hub.

Jut out of curiosity, why would you even need two DACs in the same system? Just use the Mini-M8 - I mean what headphone will you be using to make the added clutter well worth having the option to use the Vali2 instead of the Mini-M8 to drive it? Or given the Mini-M8 is a portable why not just keep it in the laptop bag when you're home?

Yeah, that was my concern.

Anyways, I like the sound of my X2 with the Vali 2 and the 400s with the centrance (provides that lacking sub bass/bass despite the 400s being a planar). And its convenient to have both hooked up all the time. I just have to change the output from my mac; speaking of which, I wish there's some software that I can simply click once to toggle between the output sources over having to 'option + click' the volume control.

Mar 3, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #8 of 10
This passive hub:
http://www.amazon.com/MicroUSB-Charging-Bluetooth-headset-activity/dp/B011ZBMCTE/ref=sr_1_25?m=A3UZZ0M53CX865&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1457065484&sr=1-25

Mar 4, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #9 of 10
  This passive hub:
http://www.amazon.com/MicroUSB-Charging-Bluetooth-headset-activity/dp/B011ZBMCTE/ref=sr_1_25?m=A3UZZ0M53CX865&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1457065484&sr=1-25

That's a rather interesting looking passive hub.
From one of the pictures, it looks like you can power the hub as well. Are you suggesting this hub for this capability?

Mar 8, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #10 of 10
I got a powered hub.
But apparently my setup works fine using it as a passive hub (not using the power adapter for the hub).

So there it is.
Anybody who has similar setup, just know that a passive hub will do.
The macbookpro/laptop is capable of outputting signals to a USB powered amp while also being connecting to other USB devices thru a hub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back