Using a transducer as an IEM subwoofer substitute
Oct 1, 2020 at 1:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

cellularmitosis

New Head-Fier
Hey guys! Just wanted to post about something fun I did recently.

I picked up a bass transducer and a cheap class-D amp to create subwoofer replacement for my IEM's (Etymotic ER4XR).

IMG_5842.JPG

Initial impressions: this is lots of fun! Maybe not appropriate for critical listening, but it certainly put a grin on my face :beyersmile:

I just lie down and place the transducer on my chest, then cross my arms over it to give it a bit of weight to couple it -- reminds me of being at a concert as a kid and feeling the bass in my chest cavity :ksc75smile:

I can already see a list of things I would like to tweak:
  • I should create an op-amp circuit to mix both channels into mono for the transducer (currently just listening to the right channel -- I tried bridging but it didn't seem to work)
  • I need to add a bit of gain in the transducer's circuit as well -- the class D amp is currently turned all the way up and just a bit more would be ideal. Or perhaps I should power it with something more substantial than a wall wart :scream:
  • Some EQ on the bass would be nice -- it definitely isn't flat.

The transducer is an AuraSound AST-2B-4, available on amazon for about $60. The amp is an eBay cheapie (about $15), just search for TDA7498.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back