Using a speaker amp for HD 800? (Any engineers?)
Oct 12, 2016 at 3:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Zoom25

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys,

In the past I've used Class A/B amps from Emotiva and Marantz to power my planars such as HE-500, LCD-2, and LCD-3. They worked quite well together.

Nowadays, I have the HD 800 and was wondering if speaker amps could also work well the HD 800. I was specifically thinking of using my Amphion Amp100. It sounds really good with my Amphion One15's and the sound is very transparent without being fatiguing.

Amphion Amp100: http://www.amphion.fi/en/create/products/amp100/

The amp is based on the Anaview AMS module (0100):

Anaview AMS 0100: http://www.anaview.com/products/ams-series

With the Anaview being a Class D and the Senn being a dynamic with 300 ohm resistance, is the match going to be horrible, OK, good, based on spec-matching alone (power output, impedance)? Is there any inherent risk of damage for either components, aside from turning up the level too high?

If someone could take a look at the specs and explain it to me, I would really appreciate it! I've been thinking about it for sometime.

In the past, I used a banana cable to 4 pin XLR adapter (which I've sold) to connect my headphones to the speaker amp terminal. If this is viable, I might be willing to try it out again.

Thanks!

Oct 13, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #2 of 11
I've used my HD800 with my Murano Audio Class-D monoblocks before (IcePower based), and it worked quite well- in particular, it gave the bass a neat quality. However, it did kill off some of the fine microdynamics, compared to a class A or A/B headphone amp.

If you want a dead-neutral sound signature, go for it. If you're source is good, it's worth a try at least.

EDIT: I will mention, however, that I was using a Robinette Box (see here:https://robrobinette.com/RobinetteBox.htm) to facilitate connection between my headphones and power amplifiers- I'd definitely recommend this for convenience, and also reduction of the otherwise ridiculous gain. Just ensure that you do not engage the "common ground" (aka single ended) mode when using either monoblocks or balanced amps.

Oct 13, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #3 of 11
Thanks for the feedback. I was aiming to run the headphones directly off the speaker taps without any resistors/box. I am getting a set of Whirlwind Imp In-line Attenuator Pads to place between the pre-amp and the power amp to lower the gain.

Oct 15, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #4 of 11
I've used my HD800 with my Murano Audio Class-D monoblocks before (IcePower based), and it worked quite well- in particular, it gave the bass a neat quality. However, it did kill off some of the fine microdynamics, compared to a class A or A/B headphone amp.

If you want a dead-neutral sound signature, go for it. If you're source is good, it's worth a try at least.

EDIT: I will mention, however, that I was using a Robinette Box (see here:https://robrobinette.com/RobinetteBox.htm) to facilitate connection between my headphones and power amplifiers- I'd definitely recommend this for convenience, and also reduction of the otherwise ridiculous gain. Just ensure that you do not engage the "common ground" (aka single ended) mode when using either monoblocks or balanced amps.

I'm afraid you will find the above is the case with almost any speaker amp and attempting to use it for headphones.  Combine that with the absolute possibility that you can destroy the HD800's if this is not done correctly, my opinion is that the attempt is far from worth it.

Oct 16, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #6 of 11
I'm an EE. That Amp can deliver 100 W into an 8 Ohm load. That means there will be 28.28 Volts across the 8 ohm load. Using that voltage across a 300 Ohm load would result in 2.67 Watts.
The HD800's take a Max of 500mW long term (1/2 W) which would result in 123.77 dbSPL at a voltage of 12.26V. A volume control is logarithmic so unless you turn it up all the way and leave it there, you should be OK. If you are still concerned you can use an LPAD of two resistors per channel to drop the power a little.
Using a 51 Ohm series resistor and a 56 Ohm resistor in parallel with the headphone would result in just over 6 dB of attenuation. These two resistors would be used per each channel. This would provide enough damping. These are standard values available in 5% resistors, you can use carbon resistors, nothing exotic is required. With 5% you stand a chance of some channel imbalance, which you could address with your balance control Or you could buy 1% resistors, or buy a bunch of resistors and match them closer using a meter. 1 Watt resistors would probably do fine. If you don't leave the volume up all the way for long 1/2 Watt resistors should be OK.
If you want a little more attenuation you could use 56 Ohms for both resistors (per channel).

Oct 18, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #9 of 11
Where did you buy one? I can't find anything on the internet for one being sold.

Back when I got mine made custom from Headphone Lounge (Chris and Ted), there were no off the shelf adapters like this. It was only through custom orders, even for dedicated headphone cable vendors.

Although I was just looking a few days ago and there is one vendor that was selling it as stock/listed. I'll see if I can find it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back