Using a pico amp as a DAC for a ECSS
Sep 25, 2009 at 7:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

layz_tiger81

New Head-Fier
Hi i'm currently using a Govibe DAC through a ECSS with a RS-1. Can I use a PICO amp (w/dac) to replace the Govibe? I understand that the pico will not output a line out but will output an amped signal. I understand based on reading some threads that this will cause clipping. And further the amped signal outputs more voltage than what a line in is capable of accepting and hence may fry the circuits of the ecss. Would be grateful if someone could point me to more resources, to explain the possible sonic differences between using a line out and a headphone out.
beyersmile.png

Sep 25, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #2 of 5
Well, there's the option to have only the Pico DAC. It offers two outputs, both that are line-out.
  1. One 1/8 jack
  2. One RCA pair
It was my solution to powering powered speakers, while also having the Gilmore Lite plugged in via RCA.

Sep 25, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #3 of 5
This is from the man himself (Justin); if you set the pico w/ DAC to "low gain" setting via the rocker switch on the left side of the front panel, and set the volume knob to the 80% marker that will equal a line out voltage. ie no additional gain.

Sep 28, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by thisbenjamin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is from the man himself (Justin); if you set the pico w/ DAC to "low gain" setting via the rocker switch on the left side of the front panel, and set the volume knob to the 80% marker that will equal a line out voltage. ie no additional gain.

Thanks! Anyway I e-mailed justin a few days ago and got the same answer. Putting the vol knob to 4 o'clock seems to work best with my setup. Has anyone owned both the pico amp w/dac and the pico dac only and made a listening comparison for any differences?

Oct 7, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by layz_tiger81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone owned both the pico amp w/dac and the pico dac only and made a listening comparison for any differences?

good question

Users who are viewing this thread

Back