Using a Dongle DAC has broken me...help!
Jan 22, 2023 at 11:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

wolfen68

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently decided to update on the information and everybody's opinions on the latest crop of DAP's we have available at this time. What a great time for the portable music enthusiast...it's been fun catching up on the forums!

I've been pretty happy with my portable setup, though it is dated. My iBasso DX80 works well on the go with a warmish presentation, and when I want to get serious serves as a transport to my "desktop" balanced DAC and amp (iBasso DB-1 and an RSA SR-71b). This "desktop" setup sounds great and coupled with a Drop 6XX serves as my own personal "Summit-fi".

Then something changed. After seeing the proliferation of dongles, I decided to experiment with an iFi GoBar. Ultimately, it sounds great and is virtually equal to my DX80 when using the GoBar's balanced output (a feature the DX80 doesn't have). I also love the snappiness and navigation on my Android phone which is light years beyond the DX80. The only downsides so far, the dongle is a little awkward on the go, and it does not appear my DB-1 DAC can accept a USB OTG input from a phone.

I'm weighing two options:

- Find a simple mid-fi modern DAP that isn't a brick, isn't buggy, sounds good with android level navigation, a 4.4 balanced output, and has a good digital output to feed my desktop setup. I only play local files, no streaming features needed.

- Stick with the phone as the transport and replace my DB-1 with a DAC that can receive a USB OTG input and feed the SR-71b with a (balanced?) signal that will let it shine. I suppose the other alternative is to replace the DB-1 and SR-71b entirely with a setup that is equal or better in sound quality.

Darn this dongle experiment...I'm really stumped as these are two entirely different directions. Any thoughts on advantages or disadvantages of each option and/or hardware recommendations would be appreciated!

Jan 22, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #2 of 4
I recently decided to update on the information and everybody's opinions on the latest crop of DAP's we have available at this time. What a great time for the portable music enthusiast...it's been fun catching up on the forums!

I've been pretty happy with my portable setup, though it is dated. My iBasso DX80 works well on the go with a warmish presentation, and when I want to get serious serves as a transport to my "desktop" balanced DAC and amp (iBasso DB-1 and an RSA SR-71b). This "desktop" setup sounds great and coupled with a Drop 6XX serves as my own personal "Summit-fi".

Then something changed. After seeing the proliferation of dongles, I decided to experiment with an iFi GoBar. Ultimately, it sounds great and is virtually equal to my DX80 when using the GoBar's balanced output (a feature the DX80 doesn't have). I also love the snappiness and navigation on my Android phone which is light years beyond the DX80. The only downsides so far, the dongle is a little awkward on the go, and it does not appear my DB-1 DAC can accept a USB OTG input from a phone.

I'm weighing two options:

- Find a simple mid-fi modern DAP that isn't a brick, isn't buggy, sounds good with android level navigation, a 4.4 balanced output, and has a good digital output to feed my desktop setup. I only play local files, no streaming features needed.

- Stick with the phone as the transport and replace my DB-1 with a DAC that can receive a USB OTG input and feed the SR-71b with a (balanced?) signal that will let it shine. I suppose the other alternative is to replace the DB-1 and SR-71b entirely with a setup that is equal or better in sound quality.

Darn this dongle experiment...I'm really stumped as these are two entirely different directions. Any thoughts on advantages or disadvantages of each option and/or hardware recommendations would be appreciated!
If you carry your phone in your pocket, a dongle DAC/amp will take less space than a DAP as well as your phone.

I have a nice DAP, but when walking outside I sometimes use the FiiO KA3 on my iPhone for convenience. The FiiO M11Pro offers much better sound quality than the KA3 however.
At home I listen to music on my iPad Pro using the Cayin RU6. I have become a big fan of the R2R organic sound. So much so that I got the HiFiMAN EF400 R2R DAC/amp for my armchair listening to my new Meze 109Pro phones.
All my cables are now 4.4mm balanced (most from Meze).

Jan 23, 2023 at 6:58 AM Post #3 of 4
If you carry your phone in your pocket, a dongle DAC/amp will take less space than a DAP as well as your phone.

I have a nice DAP, but when walking outside I sometimes use the FiiO KA3 on my iPhone for convenience. The FiiO M11Pro offers much better sound quality than the KA3 however.
At home I listen to music on my iPad Pro using the Cayin RU6. I have become a big fan of the R2R organic sound. So much so that I got the HiFiMAN EF400 R2R DAC/amp for my armchair listening to my new Meze 109Pro phones.
All my cables are now 4.4mm balanced (most from Meze).
Why not use the RU6 on the go?

Your EF400 suggestion could be an option to allow my phone transport to be used everywhere. I'll have to head to the desktop forum and read up on it...thanks.

Jan 23, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #4 of 4
Why not use the RU6 on the go?

Your EF400 suggestion could be an option to allow my phone transport to be used everywhere. I'll have to head to the desktop forum and read up on it...thanks.
The RU6 draws too much current for my iPhone 6.

However, the EF400 does not provide 5V power on it's USB-C cable, so the only reason why your phone may not be the best streaming device is that the battery may need to be charged more often. An adapter may allow charging...

1674495770840.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back