Using a 300b SET to power dynamic cans
Sep 23, 2004 at 10:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

fliz

100+ Head-Fier
to put it simply, can this be done?

and, no, don't refer to the cary SEI.

my question is, is there some adapter that can be made so that one can "plug" headphones into a 3-5wpc SET amp at the appropriate winding? (ie: build a 40ohm tap for my hp-1000s or a 32ohm tap for new grados or a 120ohm tap for senns ect.).

since my new source is arriving, i rediscovered people's extremely high praise for john tucker's 300b amps. he charges $8500 for them, and i've heard people who've owned them say that it took a $40,000 electro-harmonix amp to beat it.

One just sold used on audiogon for $3250.

My speakers and room don't justify such a good source and amp combo (yet), but if the amp could power my hp-1000s, then i could rationalize the purchase. Besides, currently my high efficiency speakers are powered by a dynamic headphone amp so it seems intuitive that it could work the other way around. Maybe low power SET monoblocks for dynamic cans will be the wave of the future?? massive overkill powersupplies seem to be popular and bozebuttons loves his cary. I think i've heard of another headfier who boasts an extreme amp originally intended for speakers for his headphones, but i cant remember.

Custom taps on a SET amp for 40ohm headphones....
the idea of an amp that wouldn't work with ANY headphones except hp-1000s seems kinda cool

if this can be done, i'll start saving now, and heckle john tucker to design the mods once another 300b of his pops up for sale used.

f

Sep 23, 2004 at 11:05 AM Post #2 of 17
I think I've found what you need. It's made by Antique Sound Labs and you can find it at www.divertech.com .

aqluhcsignature.jpg

I think the price is about $150 dollars.

Sep 23, 2004 at 5:45 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by fliz
to put it simply, can this be done?

and, no, don't refer to the cary SEI.

my question is, is there some adapter that can be made so that one can "plug" headphones into a 3-5wpc SET amp at the appropriate winding? (ie: build a 40ohm tap for my hp-1000s or a 32ohm tap for new grados or a 120ohm tap for senns ect.).

since my new source is arriving, i rediscovered people's extremely high praise for john tucker's 300b amps. he charges $8500 for them, and i've heard people who've owned them say that it took a $40,000 electro-harmonix amp to beat it.

One just sold used on audiogon for $3250.

My speakers and room don't justify such a good source and amp combo (yet), but if the amp could power my hp-1000s, then i could rationalize the purchase. Besides, currently my high efficiency speakers are powered by a dynamic headphone amp so it seems intuitive that it could work the other way around. Maybe low power SET monoblocks for dynamic cans will be the wave of the future?? massive overkill powersupplies seem to be popular and bozebuttons loves his cary. I think i've heard of another headfier who boasts an extreme amp originally intended for speakers for his headphones, but i cant remember.

Custom taps on a SET amp for 40ohm headphones....
the idea of an amp that wouldn't work with ANY headphones except hp-1000s seems kinda cool

if this can be done, i'll start saving now, and heckle john tucker to design the mods once another 300b of his pops up for sale used.

f

I've looked into this once. Basically, the best audiophile way of doing this is to install matching transformers in the amp. You would have to know the output impedance of your tube amp and the impedance of the headphone used. Then you custom-wind a matching transformer and insert it between amp and headphone. I've discussed this possibility with Jeff Korneff and Jack at Electraprint. Electraprint will make the custom transformers for very reasonable price (last I checked).

The other methods involve sticking resistors to approximate the impedances and protect the headphones, and this is the method most people use.

Sep 23, 2004 at 8:35 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by meech
I think I've found what you need. It's made by Antique Sound Labs and you can find it at www.divertech.com .

aqluhcsignature.jpg

I think the price is about $150 dollars.

I've used one of these with a 300B amp. The resulting sound was that of the amp itself.

Sep 24, 2004 at 6:16 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
Basically, the best audiophile way of doing this is to install matching transformers in the amp. You would have to know the output impedance of your tube amp and the impedance of the headphone used. Then you custom-wind a matching transformer and insert it between amp and headphone.

that sounds very similar to what the people at divergent said the $150 gizmo does: "A precision transformer (inductance) on each channel passively converts output impedance of power amplifiers for headphones with 30 Ohm or higher impedance."

is this the same thing? also, for the $150 gizmo, wouldn't it make a difference if you were using senns vs. grados, because of the impedance difference between the two phones.

your (jon l's) idea seems to imply that the winding on the transformer must be specifically for whatever headphones you plan on connecting. (in my case, 40ohm hp-1000s)

am i correct?

thanks
f

Sep 24, 2004 at 9:15 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by fliz
that sounds very similar to what the people at divergent said the $150 gizmo does: "A precision transformer (inductance) on each channel passively converts output impedance of power amplifiers for headphones with 30 Ohm or higher impedance."

is this the same thing? also, for the $150 gizmo, wouldn't it make a difference if you were using senns vs. grados, because of the impedance difference between the two phones.

your (jon l's) idea seems to imply that the winding on the transformer must be specifically for whatever headphones you plan on connecting. (in my case, 40ohm hp-1000s)

am i correct?

thanks
f

Yes, it sounds like ASL does have a transformer in that thing. But by its nature, it's not adjustable and only approximates the impedances. I mean, how can they adjust for every amplifier's output impedance and every headphone's impedance? Also, the quality of transformer between ASL and Eletraprint (one of the nicest) is going to be substantial.

This is not to say ASL won't work or sound nice. It's just that I'll get precisely what I need if I get my transformers custom-wound, which won't be THAT much more than the ASL..

Sep 24, 2004 at 10:52 PM Post #7 of 17
thanks jon l

i think you told me exactly what i expected to hear.

now that i know it's within the realm of possibility, i'll start to bug john tucker to see if he'll do it to one of his own 300b amps (provided i find one used... $8500 is WAY out of my range...)

thanks

fliz

Sep 25, 2004 at 7:58 AM Post #8 of 17
This has led me wondering: If you can purchase a completely transparent device that allows you to hook up your amp (any amp) to serve as a headphone amp for $150, why would anyone even consider a dedicated headphone amp? It seems like a complete waste.

Any thoughts on the matter?

Sep 26, 2004 at 4:32 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

This has led me wondering: If you can purchase a completely transparent device that allows you to hook up your amp (any amp) to serve as a headphone amp for $150, why would anyone even consider a dedicated headphone amp? It seems like a complete waste.

Yeah- 1. Completely transparent- I don't think so. Sounds like marketing hype.
2. ASL parts quality and QA/QC can be somewhat spotty; one reason why it only costs a buck fifty.
3. Many folks would not want to insert another component btwn their main amp and their speakers for hp use.

BUT- I did use a ASL similar impedence matching device that is driven by a line level signal (Reference Tools its called) to try and run K1Ks off of my high gain, high voltage Supratek pre-amp. It worked great with SEnns (once I got a working product), but did not quite fill the bill with the AKGs. I sold it to someone who uses it in his system with Senns and he was tickled pink. Different strokes...
k1000smile.gif

Sep 26, 2004 at 4:40 AM Post #10 of 17
I used it, and hiss kill me (my amp has no hiss with speakers, not that I heard at least), if this device would be that good, I would never had gotten any amp, but unfortunatelly it is not what people rave, a little better than the resistor classic network, that you may find in most of the speaker amps, but IMO still not enough to drive a decent pair of headphones....

Sep 26, 2004 at 9:05 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by bifcake

Good power amps sound wonderful with low impodence cans. I don't even use speakers with mine. :p

Either option is good..

Biggie.

Sep 26, 2004 at 9:31 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
I used it, and hiss kill me (my amp has no hiss with speakers, not that I heard at least), if this device would be that good, I would never had gotten any amp, but unfortunatelly it is not what people rave, a little better than the resistor classic network, that you may find in most of the speaker amps, but IMO still not enough to drive a decent pair of headphones....

The hiss is more than likely from your amp than the ASL unit. Your speakers are probably not sensitive enough to pick up hiss. I didn't get any hiss when using the headphone converter with my amp.

Sep 26, 2004 at 11:27 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkclouds
The hiss is more than likely from your amp than the ASL unit. Your speakers are probably not sensitive enough to pick up hiss. I didn't get any hiss when using the headphone converter with my amp.

Probably, but I'm using titanium tweaters, in a pair of Axions, pretty sensitive speakers BTW. OTOH I do not have the hiss at that same level in the jack of the amp, with the resistor network....I'm not denying that could be the amp, as the impedance is not the same, BTW I was using at that time the HD600, but, for sure if it would be my cup of tea, honestly, I never would jump on any amp, I love the sound of my speaker amp, and it was one of the first devices I tried, thanks to the kindness of that gentleman we know as JMT....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back