Using a 30 cm RCA -> TRS cable in other direction than specified by manufacturer. Will sound be bad?
Nov 13, 2012 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

TomKure

Head-Fier
Hello. I bought a Proel Die-Hard 30cm 2x cinch to 2x 6.3mm mono jack cable to connect my EMU 0404 USB to my Graham Slee NOVO. I did not want to spend a lot of money on a cable and I thought that if it is only 30 cm than the quality of the wire won't be THAT important, it cost me something like 8 dollars (if I convert the price from my currency). It looked really good and it is supposed to be high-quality professional cable.
But I did not notice one thing until it arrived: the manufacturer specifies a "preferred" direction the cable should be used, which happens to be the opposite to my usage (the cable is RCA->TRS, my usage is TRS->RCA). I wanted to ask you, the headphone enthusiasts here, whether you THINK or not that there is or could be any noticeable or measurable difference between the directions the cable is connected (in sound). I don't have the appropriate adapters to try it myself, so I cannot experiment with it. My opinion is that the cable is too short for any "crystal alignment" to make any sound difference (btw 30cm is about 12 inches)... And if there could be a difference, are there any symptoms I should look for in the sound? I use the NOVO to feed my HD650's and AH-D2000's, and the sound is just orgasmic, but I have never heard anything different (talking about hi-end), so maybe I think that it's good just because I don't know anything better. Is this a legitimate concern or am I just paranoid?
BTW this is the product page for the cable on the manufacturer's web:
Proel Die Hard DH630

and this is their site with info on "cable's direction":
http://diehard.proel.com/dh/en/ilversodelcavo.html

thanks in advance for your opinions!

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #3 of 4
Yeah that's true. But what about the manufacturer's claim about the crystal alignment? Does that have any science behind it? Or it's just marketing BS?

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #4 of 4
I'm not an expert...  but these are wires, not lightsabres.   Somehow I doubt that is important.   It sounds like marketing hype.

Something like this....

We have created a spectacular new set of wires! We started with gold plated oxygen free silver, then using super magnets realigned the crystalline structure of the molecules to assure the best signal transfer possible! Then we used crystals, a dowsing rod, and parts from a platinum toaster to align each strand in the optimal position before soldering them on by hand....  Using our vast knowledge of quantum mechanics, our precision soldering robots are specifically calibrated to not shake and disrupt the magnetic and crystal alignment of our wire strands.  Each cable is available now for the low low price of  $1200*(per foot) and we know you will be amazed by them!  *shipping not included

Users who are viewing this thread

Back