Using a 3 Pin XLR Plug/Socket Instead of a 1/4" Jack/Socket
May 12, 2012 at 2:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Gillesdec

New Head-Fier
Is there any reason electrically why a single 3 pin XLR plug and socket can't be used instead of a regular single ended 1/4" headphone jack and socket? I'm aware that this isn't the conventional connector type for headphones and headphone amps, but I want to avoid using any brass or nickle plated connectors in the signal path as this tends to sound more brittle and glassy compared to pure copper contacts. I'm currently building a 3 board  B22 and would like to use as superior connections as I can. I may convert the B22 and headphones into balanced configuration later on and simply add additional plugs/sockets. Any wisdom on this would be greatly appreciated!

May 13, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #3 of 12
Thanks for your suggestion Dsavitsk... can you point me in the direction where I can get a 4 pin XLR plug and socket that uses pure copper or high copper content contacts, like the  DH Labs or Furutech connectors? Thanks!

May 14, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #7 of 12
XLR?  PFFT.  Go with a milspec cpc.  Never stop at "good enough."

May 14, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #10 of 12
I've never hardwired headphones to an amp, but I have hardwired a CDP, integrated amp and speakers together with very good results. In my opinion, the best connector is no connector at all. I'm changing the cable on my Hifiman HE-500s to Jena Ultrawire anyway so I may as well try it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back