Using a 0404 as a pre-amp question
Feb 1, 2005 at 3:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

tschanrm

100+ Head-Fier
I've got an 0404 and am pursuing a DIY class d amp project. I'm planning on cutting cost by using the analog out on my card to drive the amp instead of using a dedicated preamp. I'm aware of the nuances of using a pc for this purpose, but this computer will be for audio/video only, and I don't really mind.

Does anybody know what resolution Patchmix's volume control is processed at? If its only 24bit, I can really only go down to -48db, which would get me to 16bit. I've searched the forums, only thing I've found close to this is information about foobars volume control, but this information is inconsistent. Some people say foobars volume processes at 64 bit, some say it is whatever resolution the sound card is at (in this case 24 bit padded to 32). I don't really care which control I need to use, patchmix or foobar. As long as one of them process at 32 bit or above, I'll be happy, as this will alow for full resolution below -48db.

And does anybody know what output impedance of the 0404 and the 1212 are? I'm assuming 10k, but I'd like to be sure as I'd have to change certain resistors in the amp to a specified input impedance. EDIT:Found it, output inpedance is only 560ohms for 0404.

Any information would be appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2005 at 6:41 AM Post #2 of 2
With the perfect 24 bit card you can get full resolution down to -48db. I am sure this is not true in practice. And I don't see how you can get full resolution below -48db, since whatever resolution processing is at doesn't alter the fact that the DAC is 24 bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back