Using 6.1 as 2.1... 3 Speakers on Each Side?
Apr 11, 2005 at 2:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

doobooloo

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm planning on purchasing a set of 6.1 home theater PC setup but for a few months I won't have the room to actually set up the six channels. So, I was wondering if putting three satellites next to each other on each side will work well. Or even just two on each side?

Any such experiences/thoughts?
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2005 at 3:04 PM Post #2 of 9
Actually, now that I think about it, there are a number of speaker sets that have multiple identical satellites "stacked" on top of each other. For example...

Orb Classic Two
500classic2.jpg

I don't know how good these are but all they did was stack two satellites on top of each other and call it the "best performing stereo system" - so, perhaps I can trump them by stacking THREE on top of each other.
tongue.gif

So, maybe I can build a little cabinet or rack that holds three satellites on top of each other, this will save space and look better as well.

Anyway, the speaker set I'm considering is the CSW MegaWorks 650...

1946-650.jpg

Apr 11, 2005 at 3:06 PM Post #3 of 9
Can't quite understand...with a 6.1 system you'll have rear left, right right and rear centre, and should be placed that way.

You won't have a total of four surround speakers in a 6.1 system- in 7.1 you would, but not 6.1

Place the surrounds as www.dolby.com recommends. I would not place them side by side.

edit from your description just going to stack- don't do it.. you'll get combing artifacts (if loudspeakers are reproducing identical signal, and are close to each other ) and it'll destroy the stereo imaging. You might as well just have a single speaker. Stick to L/R only with one pair of speakers, then connect the others up fully so you get 6.1 decoding.

Apr 11, 2005 at 3:10 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necros
Can't quite understand...with a 6.1 system you'll have rear left, right right and rear centre, and should be placed that way.

You won't have a total of four surround speakers in a 6.1 system- in 7.1 you would, but not 6.1

Place the surrounds as www.dolby.com recommends. I would not place them side by side.

Oh, perhaps I wasn't clear. What I meant by turning 6.1 into 2.1 was that I'll be connecting the rear L/R and center R/F channels to just plain L/R, so that the three on the left have the same left stereo channel output and the three on the right have the same right stereo channel output. There will be no surround sound input, this is purely for stereo only.
wink.gif

Apr 12, 2005 at 3:06 PM Post #5 of 9
Why not get something like the Megaworks 250D, klipsch Ultra 2.1, or MX5021? All three are well regarded as 2.1 sets, and I can't see spending the extra money on something that won't sound balanced.

Apr 13, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #6 of 9
You could also just run your 6.1 computer speakers in a 2.1 config (don't hook up the extra speakers until you have room). I did that for a while with a Cambridge 4.1 setup...

I never tried stacking them like you're describing...but I guess it wouldn't hurt to try...

I think that's one of the fun things about audio...all the experimentation!
icon10.gif

Apr 13, 2005 at 11:06 PM Post #7 of 9
Are you running the speakers out of a receiver? If you are you can use 5 channel stereo to output everything in stereo and stack the speakers.

Apr 14, 2005 at 3:11 PM Post #9 of 9
You're right necros. Using them as 2.1 is probably a better idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back