Using 1/8th to 1/4th adapter = unequal balance?
Jul 27, 2012 at 2:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

fruit_bearer

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I have a strange problem, and I thought maybe the wise folks here would know the answer.  If this is the wrong sub-forum, please let me know. 

I'm trying to use my earphones (with a 1/8th plug) on some components that have a 1/4th stereo jack.  The problem is, when I use a 1/8th to 1/4th adapter, the balance is thrown off.  The volume coming out of the left and right sides are unequal, and I have to turn the balance knob about 20 degrees to the left in order to get equal volume out of both sides. 

I thought it might be the adapter, so I tried 2 other adapters (made by different companies), and I was still getting the problem. 

Then, I thought it might be the earphones, but a) the earphones work fine when I use in situations where I don't have to use an adapter (iPod, PC, etc.), and b) other earphones I tried had the same problem. 

Finally, I thought it might be the devices I was trying (A NAD receiver, a Nakamichi CD player), so I tried the same adapter and earphones I was using originally on a Denon receiver and the balance problem was not there. 

I think I've tried isolating every variable, but I can't figure out the problem.  Any thoughts?  Are there different kinds of stereo jacks that require a certain kind of adapter??  

Thanks!

Jul 27, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #4 of 7
It could be a problem with the balance controls of the NAD. Do you have other headphones you could try with the receiver?

To be clear, you're using the Nakamichi CD player plugged into the receiver, and running your headphones out of them?

Jul 27, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #5 of 7
Yes, I've tried other headphones and earphones with the NAD receiver.  Same problem.  I don't think it's a problem with the balance controls on the NAD receiver because I just tried it on a Nakamichi receiver, and it had the same problem too.

To answer your second question - Yes, though I've also tried using my earphones with the 1/8th to 1/4th adapter straight into the phone output jack on the Nakamichi CD player, bypassing the receiver, and still had the same problem. 

So, to recap, I have the balance problem on 1) the NAD receiver, 2) the Nakamichi CD player, and 3) the Nakamichi receiver.  I do not have the balance problem on 1) the Denon receiver, and 2) a Denon CD player with phone output jack.

Does this make sense to anyone?  Or am I just going crazy?

Jul 27, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #6 of 7
Could your Nakamichi CD player be outputting an unbalanced signal for right and left channels? Try plugging your Denon CD player into your NAD receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back