User-friendly IEMs or very light headphones for work use (coming from SRH840s).
Feb 21, 2013 at 11:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

topperdoggle

Head-Fier
I currently use Shure SRH840s at work, but I'm suffering from their look.  I know it's a shame, but in some companies if you want to be taken seriously, a big set of cans on your head doesn't do the trick.  Sound-wise, I'm a fan, I find them much more musical and comfortable than the M50s I had before, and less fatiguing.

Anyway I want to replace them, probably with IEMs, or headphones that look no more heavyweight than the average office phone headset.  I know I could get better SQ from IEMs but they are annoying to take on and off several times a day (having to squeeze the foam earplugs).  Having said that they are more "stealth" than headphones, so I won't rule them out.

I have a pair of IE8s sitting in the drawer at home, but I won't use them in this environment because in my opinion they need EQ'ing and it's not practical with my work laptop as a source.  I also have some Phonak PFE122s that I bought in a sale months ago, which I'm not planning to take out of the box (until I sell the IE8s and / or you guys say they are perfect for this application).  I guess they might fit the bill, but bear in mind my reservation about IEMs in this environment.

I'm looking for something that's good value, comfortable, and with good clarity, bass extension (not necessarily "slam") and soundstage (but not fatiguing).

I'll be listening to all kinds of rock, and some work-related videos (SQ doesn't matter in the slightest for those :wink: ).

What do you suggest?

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #2 of 6
For your listening tastes and comfort concerns I recommend the Brainwavz M2 with a pair of Comply T-400 foam tips with wax guiard.  They are a very comfortable, slightly mid-centric headphone with decent bass and treble clarity.  They run $80 or less new and the Comply T-400 foam tips are around $20 for 3 pair.

Here are the measurements:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BrainwavzM2.pdf

They remain my go to IEM when I do not want to use my JH.

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #3 of 6
what about ear buds?

say sunrise audio Dragon2 or Hisound PAA-1 Pro?

Feb 21, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks to all for your advice so far, it is appreciated.
Quote:
For your listening tastes and comfort concerns I recommend the Brainwavz M2 with a pair of Comply T-400 foam tips with wax guiard.  They are a very comfortable, slightly mid-centric headphone with decent bass and treble clarity.  They run $80 or less new and the Comply T-400 foam tips are around $20 for 3 pair.

Here are the measurements:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BrainwavzM2.pdf

They remain my go to IEM when I do not want to use my JH.

Interesting.  How are they with silicone tips?  I ask as part of the annoyance of IEMs at work is squeezing foam tips to put them on, waiting for them to expand etc.
Quote:
what about ear buds?

say sunrise audio Dragon2 or Hisound PAA-1 Pro?

To be honest, I didn't know that earbuds can be of decent quality compared to IEMs.  I googled the two you mentioned - couldn't find anything on the Sunrise and little on the Hisound.  Also, it's in an office, so the IEM isolation is useful both ways.
Quote:
Sony V6 with velour pads
Thank me later.

NIce, but I'm looking for something where I can keep my professional look at work.  *shakes head so sadly*
Quote:
Sennheiser px100 II's

Added to the list, thanks for the tip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back