used SR325's--- worth $150?
Dec 2, 2004 at 8:01 PM Post #16 of 31
Contact Drewd here on the boards (the man who is shellbrooklab.com the maker of super mini moys, maxi moys, etc.). It would be $15 including shipping to have him put a Canare F12 1/8" plug. Drew does great work too-- that's who I'll go to if I pick these up...

Dec 2, 2004 at 8:15 PM Post #17 of 31
I got 325s for Veritas and thought I'd confirm what he's saying about the condition. The condition is very good(assuming they're like mine). Although I bought just the drivers/housings for a bit less and put them on my modded Ms-1 headband. Some slight wear on the letters and one of the buttons. By the way, the marking stuff comes off the the buttons easily, they look like new under the marking.

Dec 2, 2004 at 8:43 PM Post #18 of 31
I'd rather just spend the $200 on a nice used pair. I wouldn't bother trying to "fix up" a pair of headphones. Anyone willing to use cement & glue on their cans and has cut or pulled the plug off didn't take very good care of them. It's not like that plug is just going to fall off. Some trauma or intentional cutting must have been involved.

At least that's how I would approach it. I could be way off. Pictures never hurt.

Dec 2, 2004 at 9:01 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jam_Master_J
I got 325s for Veritas and thought I'd confirm what he's saying about the condition. The condition is very good(assuming they're like mine). Although I bought just the drivers/housings for a bit less and put them on my modded Ms-1 headband. Some slight wear on the letters and one of the buttons. By the way, the marking stuff comes off the the buttons easily, they look like new under the marking.

What did you use to remove the marking stuff on the button? Veritas says its some sort of cement..

Dec 2, 2004 at 9:02 PM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by superjohnny
I'd rather just spend the $200 on a nice used pair. I wouldn't bother trying to "fix up" a pair of headphones. Anyone willing to use cement & glue on their cans and has cut or pulled the plug off didn't take very good care of them. It's not like that plug is just going to fall off. Some trauma or intentional cutting must have been involved.

At least that's how I would approach it. I could be way off. Pictures never hurt.

The pictures are on the Ebay auction, check them out if you want to see what all the talk is about. Also, it was explained why the plug was cut off... just read in some of the other posts, or again, check the Ebay auction.

Dec 3, 2004 at 2:37 AM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

how involved is replacing the headphone plug? that seems to be my major concern in picking these up. i don't know where to get a decent repalcement plug, nor do i know how to reattach it, thanks.

Its pretty simple. I bought a set of two Vampire Wire connectors for $18 CAD that seem great. Its just 3 solders and maybe some heatshrink(depending on the connector). I do plan on re-cabling since I want a longer and more flexible cable but simply doing a new connector isn't too overwhelming.

Dec 3, 2004 at 2:57 AM Post #23 of 31
Personally I think the $120 range is more reasonable given the terrible condition the phones are in and the need of a new plug. I saw them on e-bay, and they are definitely in rough shape. Asking a BIN of 165 is just simply way too much.

Good luck with your sale. I'm sure the phones work, but that's about all they have going for them.

Dec 3, 2004 at 3:34 AM Post #25 of 31
and if I went with the 225's, I've read that they're much better with the high end (less harsh, etc.).

But I'd still need to get a 1/4" to 1/8" adaptor-- dang it! I should just get SR60's or SR80's and try to be satisfied
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 3, 2004 at 4:50 AM Post #26 of 31
“I recently purchased a number of Grado SR-325s from a studio.”

So would you buy a rental car? I know how people treat someone else’s gear and especially gear from work so I wouldn’t touch these.

“the button on the grill on the right earcup is covered by a clay like substance (the studio put this on to differentiate between the right and left cups if and when they were removed from the headband)”

Now why would that be? Was the studio actively repairing the headphones? If so would the drivers be matched like they were when they were first assembled and sold?

To each thier own.

Mitch

Dec 3, 2004 at 7:37 AM Post #27 of 31
I actually figured out from Jam_Master_J that the clay on the buttons is removable, and I just tried it out and the button underneath looks only slightly worn. So the earcups look completely normal except for glue streaks on the black part of the cup, which is completely covered by any kind of pad you will put on these. Just clarification.

Edit: The studios weren't actively repairing the headphones. My best guess is since I don't have fully sets of headphones (probably 1/2 at least don't have headbands), the studio needed to know R/L. All the drivers are matched-none are two earcups cannibalized into one pair.

Dec 5, 2004 at 5:49 PM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Personally I think the $120 range is more reasonable given the terrible condition the phones are in and the need of a new plug. I saw them on e-bay, and they are definitely in rough shape. Asking a BIN of 165 is just simply way too much.

confused.gif

Are we looking at the same pictures?

As unappealing as that clay disc is, I really don't see anything else wrong with the headphones. Some faded lettering like every other Grado has after normal use. I really want to know what justifies you declaring it in "terrible condition".

The plug is not a big deal at all and it's not like he hides the fact the fact that you need to solder a connector on yourself.

As well, I'd rather get 325s used than 225s used, since the aluminum seems more resistant to damage than the ABS enclosures of the 225s.

Dec 6, 2004 at 2:18 AM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
and if I went with the 225's, I've read that they're much better with the high end (less harsh, etc.).

But I'd still need to get a 1/4" to 1/8" adaptor-- dang it! I should just get SR60's or SR80's and try to be satisfied
smily_headphones1.gif

There's nothing wrong with that if money in a concern. I've never heard the SR225, but I do remember reading a Head-Fi member's comment that he had heard the SR60 and SR225 and they felt there was very little difference (especially given the cost increase). I guess it depends on your ears.

Dec 6, 2004 at 3:14 AM Post #30 of 31
Look at the condition of the phones as is. While they work now, there's no telling how much abuse they have taken already, and it's clear they have taken a lot. So you take the button off, redo the plug, and then what happens? a driver blows. a cable loses connection. There is just no guarantee whatsoever with this phone, and you're taking a $150 chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back