used SR325's--- worth $150?
Dec 2, 2004 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a chance to grab a pair of used SR325's, but they're in need of a little TLC. One of the buttons on the earcups has some sort of cement on it (for marking purposes to differentiate the left from the right earcup-- for some reason the "L" and R" on either side wasn't clear enough for somebody!). How hard would it be to remove the buttons on both earpieces? Can I just pull them off gently, since the grilles are metal? Also, what can I use to remove any dry glue that may remain in the grilles? I don't want any dried glue falling into the grilles.

Also, they have no pads on them, and whoever had them before had glued the previous earpads on them-- all that's left are some remnants of these pads that still need to be scraped off. So I'm looking at around $15 for bowls or around $30 for flats from TTVJ. There's some wear on the lettering, but nothing too major.

The other big concern is that they have no plug-- so I would need to have a new plug installed (should only cost me around $15 to have a nice Canare F12 1/8" plug installed).

So would these be worth paying around $150 for, or trading a set of $150-ish cans for them? I haven't had a chance to hear SR325's, but I've heard they're great for metal.

Should I trade my DT770/80's for these "fixer-uppers" or should I keep looking for a pair in better condition?

Dec 2, 2004 at 3:27 AM Post #2 of 31
From what you're describing, I would try to bargain the seller down to at least $120-130 U.S. It sounds like those 325s are in pretty rough shape.

Dec 2, 2004 at 3:30 AM Post #3 of 31
i wouldnt do it. those sound pretty gross with random glue and cement on them. btw if you find a nicer pair (should go for 200$ used maybe less) just get the sennheiser pads because they sound about the same as flats and are way more comfortable (if you cut a hole in them that is)

Dec 2, 2004 at 3:47 AM Post #4 of 31
I was thinking they seemed pretty rough to do a straigh trade for a 2-month old pair of DT770's.

Perhaps I should be looking for a pair of SR225's instead? Would that be more of an even trade, and would there be a huge difference between the 225's and the 325's? I'm assuming that the main difference would be the 225's don't sound as bright..

Dec 2, 2004 at 4:30 AM Post #6 of 31
Haha, I'm the person with the SR325s, and I hope I'm allowed an opinion? I guess the way I see it is different. I guess a used SR325 would cost around $200. If you wanted to use it with a 1/8", you'd need to buy the Grado 1/4 to 1/8, which costs $15. If you wanted flat pads (instead of the stock bowls), that'd be $30 extra. So that brings it to be $245. All things considered, the SR325s I have are in really good condition. The only big cosmetic problem is the faded lettering on the earcups. Any glue residue would never be seen as the pads cover that area.

So with the ones I have (which are in overall pretty good condition, I don't think you guys have the right idea of them in your head), it'll cost $150 plus $15 for the 1/8 jack plus $30 for flats. Which is $195. All things considered, the only real cosmetic flaw of the SR325s I have is the faded lettering. Any glue residue from the glued on pads will be covered by the new pads. So I guess is $50 is worth having both buttons say SR325 instead of having clean grills, that's up to you. By the way, the reason there is that stuff on the right button is because the studio I got them from needed to differentiate between R and L, even when the cups were separated from the headband.

Not trying to convince anyone, just putting in my 2 cents. I'm open to opinions too, please let me know if I'm charging too much, it's just that a handful of people have already bought them at that price and didn't really complain, so I figured it was fair. Thanks!

Dec 2, 2004 at 4:40 AM Post #7 of 31
If the buyer is not sure of buying or not, what I would do in that case, and knowing that they are in perfect working order, if offer the buyer a 100% money back garantee, in case that he may find any problems with the drivers, or simply he can live with them like that, as the rest was pretty much covered here and he knows the condition.....just my two cents...

Dec 2, 2004 at 4:42 AM Post #8 of 31
Oh of course! I've always had that policy. I even cover shipping costs
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2004 at 4:47 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by veritas
Oh of course! I've always had that policy. I even cover shipping costs
smily_headphones1.gif

With all those warranties, the price is not that bad IMO...you will not get any offer like that, in which you try a product, and if you are not 100% satisfied you will get 100% of your money back.....

Dec 2, 2004 at 4:49 AM Post #10 of 31
That seems pretty fair. I checked Ebay for some 325's and someone is selling quite a few pairs (quantity of 20) in the same condition-- from a studio, with the cement on one button, no plug on the end, pads that were glued to the earcups and then removed, leaving a little pad remnant. His price is $165, which doesn't include shipping.

So $150 shipped ain't bad... I guess I'm just not sure if I want to give up my DT770's to try out the 325's, and I don't have an extra $150 to splurge on the 325's with the holidays upon us...

Dec 2, 2004 at 4:57 AM Post #13 of 31
lol what a funny post. Why don't the ones on eBay have plugs on the end?

Dec 2, 2004 at 2:05 PM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
With all those warranties, the price is not that bad IMO...you will not get any offer like that, in which you try a product, and if you are not 100% satisfied you will get 100% of your money back.....

the question is: do I get all of my DT770's back?
blink.gif

Dec 2, 2004 at 3:53 PM Post #15 of 31
how involved is replacing the headphone plug? that seems to be my major concern in picking these up. i don't know where to get a decent repalcement plug, nor do i know how to reattach it, thanks.
Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

Back