Used market and prices for Grado 'phones
May 14, 2020 at 3:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

alphaman

100+ Head-Fier
Back in 2015, I unfortunately eBay'd my 325i's. They were in mint shape, w/box, manual, the works. And the winning bid was a lousy $150.
On the other hand, that same year, I eBay'd my HP-1s for $1200.00.
Now, I'm thinking about getting some 225's, but the used prices are higher than new Amazon prices. What's up with that? Were the older models better made?

May 19, 2020 at 12:26 AM Post #4 of 5

alphaman

100+ Head-Fier
Get new ones then. Ebay sellers aren't always sane or realistic.
Hmmm ... were the older serial nos. better made in some way (better QC or higher-quality parts)?

Also what's the "best" (sounding) cushion for SR60, 80, 225? A while back, Tyll Hertsens did a fairly extensive review and seem to have (overall) favored L-cushions with elec. tape mod.
I've tried them all -- incl HP-1 flats -- except for G-cushions.

May 19, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #5 of 5

Frozen Rat

100+ Head-Fier
Hmmm ... were the older serial nos. better made in some way (better QC or higher-quality parts)?

Also what's the "best" (sounding) cushion for SR60, 80, 225? A while back, Tyll Hertsens did a fairly extensive review and seem to have (overall) favored L-cushions with elec. tape mod.
I've tried them all -- incl HP-1 flats -- except for G-cushions.

I don't know anything about the older ones being better (we're still talking RS-2e right?). I know that some of the early RS-1Es had weird problems with the drivers not being installed flush, and sounding "wrong."

I don't like any of the cushions on their smaller cups. The only ones I was able to tolerate were those larger ones on the GS-1000 and PS-1000 series. I've had RS-2 and RS-1 in the past and sold them because they would always cause pain in the cartilage of my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread