Used HD800 for 500€, or something else?
Apr 18, 2020 at 2:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

mikkju-9

New Head-Fier
This is (will be) my first proper hifi purchase. I’ve owned a pair of HD650 some 10 years ago and loved the sound, even though I never amplified them. I recently bought Lehmann Audio Rhinelander amp for 100€ used, and I’ve been looking for headphones to drive with it for around 300€. I play digital piano (I would use the headphones for this too), and listen to a lot of classical / instrumental / acoustic music. Of course other genres too, but not so seriously.

I was offered a pair of Sennheiser HD800 used, only 2 years old and perfectly functional. What I’m asking you more experienced guys is should I put that extra 200€ in and get the HD800 instead of some other pair? I was looking into HD600, maybe even 660s. Also checked some Beyerdynamics.

Is the Rhinelander amp even sufficient for HD800? Are the HD800 good for my type of music/use?

Thanks a lot if you can push me to the right direction.

edit: forgot to ask, but I also wonder if a dac would be required.. My source is iPhone/work laptop.

-Hifinoob

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #4 of 11
Pull the trigger.

Apr 19, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #5 of 11
Also, whenever you feel like you need a new DAC/amp, check out the Tempotec Sonata iDSD Plus:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32910179940.html

Granted, it WILL NOT drive the HD800 by itself very well, so you still need the Rhinelander. However, you MIGHT be able to use it as a portable DAC/amp for those specific genres with your HD650, possibly making it sufficient for portable use.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #6 of 11
To further clarify with what you already have: the HD800 was created with classical and orchestral genres in mind. Your iPhone/work laptop and Lehmann audio Rhinelander amp will allow up to 30 different instruments to be noticed. However, adding a Tempotec Sonata iDSD Plus DAC/amp to the Rhinelander amp will probably almost double the amount of instruments that you will notice and possibly even notice certain instruments more distinctively. Using the Tempotec Sonata iDSD Plus with the HD800 will definitely work to a certain extent, but the sound will be rather tinny on both balanced (up to 150mW at 32 ohms) and unbalanced (up to 120mW at 32 ohms) connections, so using your old HD650 will work better with the Tempotec Sonata iDSD Plus and maybe even sufficiently for larger classical ensembles, but not orchestras. Hope this helps. :)

Apr 19, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #7 of 11
Thanks, guys, I'm glad to know that the setup is ok and I'm good to go. The trigger has been pulled! Looking forward to receiving the cans.

Also, thanks pbui44 for the additional clarifications and tips! :beerchug:

May 9, 2020 at 11:43 PM Post #10 of 11
If you hesitate between HD600 and HD800, I would recommend you to rush directly to HD800. Of course, you can also listen to HD600 once, but I think the gap between HD800 and 600 series is really big, and that kind of sound cannot be replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back