Used Customs
Nov 2, 2009 at 2:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Sterny

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,
I have recently decided to make the jump to customs. This has proved rather difficult so far, as I am a student and have a fairly limited budget.

My question is concerning used custom IEMs. If I were to buy a pair of used Westone ES2's for a fraction of their retail price, would it be practical to send them to be re-molded? I'm slightly concerned that it would affect the SQ is some way (I'm not entirely sure how, I'm new to this
biggrin.gif
}).

If it turns out that this won't work out, I'm debating getting a pair of Alien Ear duals (and this would be stretching my budget).

I searched and couldn't find much information on the subject.

Nov 2, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #2 of 19
Even if you can buy them cheaply, to get them re-moulded will cost a hell of a lot more including impressions, shipping (at least 2x) and the actual re-moulding process. The cheapest customs are less than 200$ brand new, so I think you may be stretched if you buy a used ES2. That said, the ES2 may have higher quality drivers than a low-end custom.

Nov 2, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #3 of 19
that's what I figured, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't passing up the deal of a lifetime.

I'm debating between getting a pair of Alien Ears or Fidelity's...I've heard mixed reviews about both of them. I'm siding with the duals, as I think the triples would be too far out of my price range.

I'm leaning towards the AE2's, but I'm not sure if I'm making the right choice...

Nov 2, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sterny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello everyone,

If it turns out that this won't work out, I'm debating getting a pair of Alien Ear duals (and this would be stretching my budget).

Perhaps you can buy used ones and add extra driver(s) in it, because the standard C2 haven't got a very good SQ (if you have heard better)
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/wt...cedrop-450221/

Nov 2, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #7 of 19
I think the remolding service costs $90-100. Impressions can run as low as $20-50. Mine cost $50 here in Manhattan, and I was expecting to pay a lot more.

I'd sooner go for a remold of a high-end IEM than settle for a bottom-shelf custom. You will be left wanting in the latter route.

Nov 2, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #9 of 19
so if I were to purchase a pair of fairly good used customs and had them re-shelled, none of the SQ would be lost in the process? This is my greatest fear.

Also, I'm getting the sense that purchasing a pair of cheap more prominent customs (such as a JH7 or westone ES3) would be more reliable and rewarding then buying a pair of C2's or AE2's.

For example....a pair of used UE10's for ~$275 + reshelling fee + imprints = ~$400 tops?
would be preferable to a pair of a pair of new AE3'/AE2's.

Nov 2, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #10 of 19
As long as they're reshelled well and fit your ear correctly, I don't see how it would sound worse than it's supposed to.

Call the audiologists around your area and ask for prices on impressions

Nov 2, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

For example....a pair of used UE10's for ~$275 + reshelling fee + imprints = ~$400 tops?

I see that you found that FS thread...

Nov 2, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

It would be more than $400. It would $275 + $90 for remolding + about $50 shipping ($15 there and about $35 back) + $50 average for impressions. That would be $465.

But you'd essentially have UE10's. Which are IMO better than AE3's.

Nov 3, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much would a used pair of UE11s go for?

You decide. The only close option costs over ~$550 (Unique Melody remolding and adding a driver [$299+shipping+impressions] to the TF10pro [$200+]). The up-and-coming Unique Melody Mage seems to compete with the UE-11 for around $550 as well.

Though I imagine the JH13 is the only custom that wouldn't get slaughtered in resale values since there are absolutely no close alternatives. But no one would ever sell theirs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back