Used Audeze Deckard
Nov 13, 2023 at 8:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

sting1973

New Head-Fier
Good day everyone.

I’ll try to be quick but I was just hoping to get some first hand opinions here.

I’ve been using a musical fidelity M1HPA for a long while now because it just makes every headphone I’ve used with it sound very good and I never felt the need to upgrade. It even drives my current headphone(HEDD V1) very satisfactory to my ears.

I have the chance to get a used audeze deckard at a very good price and it looks almost pristine. The reason I’m potentially interested is the fact that it’s Class A and is about double the power of the MF, but there’s a part of me that’s wondering if this might be more of a side grade than anything despite the extra power.

I know the HEDDphone likes power, which is the main reason I would even try it. I was wondering if anyone here had an opinion one way or another, even better if someone have actually heard both. Thanks every one in advance!

Nov 14, 2023 at 10:54 PM Post #2 of 4
I had an M1HPA years ago - It's a great amp. Warm and smooth. I've owned the Deckard as my main amp for awhile. The deckard is along the lines of it - warmer tilt. I find it a little warm so it doesn't mate incredibly with all headphones in my collection, however the more bright headphones are fantastic with it. My favorite pairing is the HE6SE which I find sounds beautiful with the Deckard. Everyone thinks you need more power for the 6SE, but I had a Flux FA-10 and I still liked the Deckard more. It's really about pairing to which headphone because it can be hit or miss. I don't love the Deckard with my HD600, it's too warm to my ears. The HD600 sounds great however on my Audio GD NFB 11.28. Synergy for me is huge when it comes to amps. I appreciate now owning a more neutral amp alongside the warmer tilted Deckard as there is generally a preference depending on what the headphone sounds like, signature wise. By the way, I don't love the DAC inside the Deckard - I just use the amp portion.

So bottom line, if the HeDDphone leans bright, I think it will mate very well. It's kind of similar in terms of being a warm leaning amp so I can't say directly how much it will improve over an M1HPA which is in itself a great sounding amp. But the Deckard, when paired inside a good chain, sounds totally fantastic.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2023 at 11:30 PM Post #3 of 4
I had an M1HPA years ago - It's a great amp. Warm and smooth. I've owned the Deckard as my main amp for awhile. The deckard is along the lines of it - warmer tilt. I find it a little warm so it doesn't mate incredibly with all headphones in my collection, however the more bright headphones are fantastic with it. My favorite pairing is the HE6SE which I find sounds beautiful with the Deckard. Everyone thinks you need more power for the 6SE, but I had a Flux FA-10 and I still liked the Deckard more. It's really about pairing to which headphone because it can be hit or miss. I don't love the Deckard with my HD600, it's too warm to my ears. The HD600 sounds great however on my Audio GD NFB 11.28. Synergy for me is huge when it comes to amps. I appreciate now owning a more neutral amp alongside the warmer tilted Deckard as there is generally a preference depending on what the headphone sounds like, signature wise. By the way, I don't love the DAC inside the Deckard - I just use the amp portion.

So bottom line, if the HeDDphone leans bright, I think it will mate very well. It's kind of similar in terms of being a warm leaning amp so I can't say directly how much it will improve over an M1HPA which is in itself a great sounding amp. But the Deckard, when paired inside a good chain, sounds totally fantastic.
I appreciate the long response. Unfortunately, I took too long and lost out. If I see another one I’ll pick it up to try it. Thank you!

Nov 17, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #4 of 4
I appreciate the long response. Unfortunately, I took too long and lost out. If I see another one I’ll pick it up to try it. Thank you!
You're welcome, highly recommend the Deckard - I love it provided the headphone isn't too warm.

The M1HPA you have is great too so enjoy that!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back