Use RCA to 3.5mm adapter with DAC Topping E50 Mini Schiit Modi
Jul 2, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #2 of 18
Yes, you can use this setup. However, you really should check to see if you have some type of volume control to protect your ears and gear. :)

Jul 2, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #3 of 18
Maybe I'm misunderstanding--are you saying you want to use the RCA out on the back of the DAC and run it straight into your headphone?

Jul 2, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #4 of 18
Maybe I'm misunderstanding--are you saying you want to use the RCA out on the back of the DAC and run it straight into your headphone?
Yes. Is that weird? I need it for a very specific purpose, namely to drive my PC38X, which are only 28 Ohm. So, I don't think I need an AMP. I just need the DAC, hence the weird setup.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #6 of 18
Would it be possible to use an RCA to 3.5mm or 1/4" adapter to use with my low impedance headphones?
I was confused because you mentioned 1/4" adapter, which would be on the amp/dac side (though not on these).

Jul 2, 2022 at 9:58 PM Post #8 of 18
The headphones are the PC38X, which are 28 Ohm. That's the reason why I'm not looking into an AMP. Will I still need to worry about this if I will not be using an AMP?

Your DAC needs to have some type of volume control. Otherwise, the analog signal is fixed and you will only hear everything at 100% volume all of the time, which is not good at all for your ears or gear. If you need a cheap amp, then check this one out:

https://www.amazon.com/Douk-Audio-Headphone-Amplifier-Desktop/dp/B08C2MKBGN/ref=sr_1_2?crid=QQU9JUQ1R4WX&keywords=douk+u3&qid=1656813516&sprefix=douk+u3,aps,244&sr=8-2

If you need cleaner power, then you can use this power supply on the Douk U3 with the Toshiba (5.5mm x 2.5mm) power plug:

https://www.amazon.com/ZOZO-Univers...dp/B00ZF2U4JU/ref=psdc_11041841_t1_B0132ST35Y

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #9 of 18
Your DAC needs to have some type of volume control. Otherwise, the analog signal is fixed and you will only hear everything at 100% volume all of the time, which is not good at all for your ears or gear. If you need a cheap amp, then check this one out:

https://www.amazon.com/Douk-Audio-Headphone-Amplifier-Desktop/dp/B08C2MKBGN/ref=sr_1_2?crid=QQU9JUQ1R4WX&keywords=douk+u3&qid=1656813516&sprefix=douk+u3,aps,244&sr=8-2
Can I not control the volume through my PC?

I already have a FiiO K5 Pro. I'm worried that it may provide too much power even at low gain for such sensitive headphones like the PC38X. Should I not worry about that if I have it on low gain and low volume?

Jul 2, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #10 of 18
Can I not control the volume through my PC?

I already have a FiiO K5 Pro. I'm worried that it may provide too much power even at low gain for such sensitive headphones like the PC38X. Should I not worry about that if I have it on low gain and low volume?

Try using the DAC and controlling the volume, then if you can control the volume, then connect the PC38x to the DAC and try it WITHOUT WEARING IT FIRST. If the sound is not too loud, then you can wear it and see how well the digital volume steps work.

Jul 2, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #13 of 18
I've got the RCA to 3.5mm adapter and it can work since the PC38X has a volume wheel on it to control it there. Just going to be if it gets loud enough, but the adapter is like $4 so worth a try.
I don't have either the E50 Mini or Modi yet so I was hoping someone else had tried this. The problem is buying the DAC and then returning it if it doesn't work out for my special case. I would feel bad. I guess I could just keep it if it doesn't work out.

Jul 2, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #15 of 18
I've got the RCA to 3.5mm adapter and it can work since the PC38X has a volume wheel on it to control it there. Just going to be if it gets loud enough, but the adapter is like $4 so worth a try.

So how does this work? This video might help for @Ridonculous but I don't know much else about this, other than it being a passive volume control:

I didn't know that. I would assume that the PC volume wouldn't change...

You cannot assume that, especially when you use multiple audio sources that the PC can and will automatically switch from one to another. This is still something to consider, even with the passive volume control knob on the right PC38x ear cup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back