Use Peachtree Nova as preamp and Marantz PM8003 as power amp?
Dec 14, 2010 at 4:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

lmf22

1000+ Head-Fier
There was a demo Marantz PM8003 integrated amp at Music Direct recently, and the price was right, so I purchased it.  I already have the Peachtree Nova which I am currently using as a DAC, integrated amp, and headphone amp. 

I also have a CEntrance DACmini CX coming soon.  

So now I have a couple of choices, and was wondering which would be the best in terms of sound quality:

1: Use Nova as a DAC/preamp/headphone amp, the PM8003 as power amp to power the speakers.  The DACmini would serve as a "portable" system when I travel, or use it as a headphone amp if it's better than the one in the Nova.

2. Sell the Nova.  Use DACmini as DAC and headphone amp, the PM8003 as integrated amp.  The PM8003 also has a pretty good built-in phono preamp so I can also sell my Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 SE.

Also, how does the DAC in the DACmini compare to the DAC in the Nova?

Any suggestions? 

Dec 15, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #2 of 9
I know this isn't directly related to your question but since you purchase the 8003 I think you may be interested.

I just recently did a comparison of the Arcam A18, Primare I21,Marantz PM8003 and Peachtree Nova with Sonus Faber Luito speakers. I found that the Marantz won hands down with the Primare second and the Nova third with Arcam coming in last.

The Marantz had a full bodied powerful sound and good control of all frequencies. While the Primare sounded like it had deeper bass, it felt a little odd when it came to vocals and dynamics, just not my cup of tea I guess, but it was a good contest. The Nova I felt lacked the power to do justice to the Sonus Fabers. I felt it was slightly anemic in nature and could definitely use some more power. I also felt it had a thin feeling sound overall and not full bodied like the Marantz. The Arcam was just congested as hell and was running out of headroom real fast, not a good pairing with Sonus Fabers at all IMO.

Take what you will from this comparison, but I ended up with the PM8003 and am waiting for it to arrive. The Pre-outs and power-in gives me flexibility for later. While they are rated quite similarly, I've read that the PM8003 comes in at around 90WPC at 8ohms and their spec sheet is conservative at 75WPC.

In your case, one option is to use the Nova as a DAC (this is one of its strengths, its a better dac than an amp IMO, and it sounded better than the CD players I heard under 1000$) and send it to the Marantz as integrated, unless you are specific about using the tube pre stage on the Nova. Easy enough to compare it both ways and decide I guess, try it with the 8003 as integrated and then with 8003 as power with Nova as pre and decide which one sounds better to you.

I have no idea about dacmini, so cant comment there, but I do know for sure the DAC on the Nova is quite a good one.

Oh and you are right about the phono stage on the 8003, its really good.

Dec 16, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
I know this isn't directly related to your question but since you purchase the 8003 I think you may be interested.

I just recently did a comparison of the Arcam A18, Primare I21,Marantz PM8003 and Peachtree Nova with Sonus Faber Luito speakers. I found that the Marantz won hands down with the Primare second and the Nova third with Arcam coming in last.

The Marantz had a full bodied powerful sound and good control of all frequencies. While the Primare sounded like it had deeper bass, it felt a little odd when it came to vocals and dynamics, just not my cup of tea I guess, but it was a good contest. The Nova I felt lacked the power to do justice to the Sonus Fabers. I felt it was slightly anemic in nature and could definitely use some more power. I also felt it had a thin feeling sound overall and not full bodied like the Marantz. The Arcam was just congested as hell and was running out of headroom real fast, not a good pairing with Sonus Fabers at all IMO.

Take what you will from this comparison, but I ended up with the PM8003 and am waiting for it to arrive. The Pre-outs and power-in gives me flexibility for later. While they are rated quite similarly, I've read that the PM8003 comes in at around 90WPC at 8ohms and their spec sheet is conservative at 75WPC.

In your case, one option is to use the Nova as a DAC (this is one of its strengths, its a better dac than an amp IMO, and it sounded better than the CD players I heard under 1000$) and send it to the Marantz as integrated, unless you are specific about using the tube pre stage on the Nova. Easy enough to compare it both ways and decide I guess, try it with the 8003 as integrated and then with 8003 as power with Nova as pre and decide which one sounds better to you.

I have no idea about dacmini, so cant comment there, but I do know for sure the DAC on the Nova is quite a good one.

Oh and you are right about the phono stage on the 8003, its really good.

Thank you for the impressions.  I received the PM8003 today and it is indeed very powerful, and has a full bodied sound.  I'm using it with the Focal 706V speakers. 

As you have suggested, I'm using the Nova as a DAC.  I have read in numerous places that if you're just using the Nova's DAC and not its other features, it would be still be worth the $1200 retail price.  Since I'll be using the PM8003's phono preamp, I guess I'll have to use it as an integrated. 

So far (with just a few hours of burn in), the sound of the PM8003 with the Focal speakers is great.  The Marantz gives the Focals a bit of warmth.   And finally some bass!  I found that the Focals didn't have much bass when paired with the Nova, and I ended up getting the Velodyn Impact Mini subwoofer.  Now I have turn down the volume on subwoofer a little.  On the PM8003, the Focal no longer sounds thin.  I like this combination so far, Nova as DAC and headphone amp, and PM8003 as integrated.

The one "problem" I have with the PM8003 is that I don't get much range on the volume control at low volumes (e.g., listening at night).  I guess that's the sacrifice I'll have to make with an integrated amp this powerful. 

Hope you will enjoy your PM8003 as much I do. 

Dec 16, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #4 of 9
Ooh yeah, I was hoping to hear some impressions like that, thanks for that, looking forward to mine even more. One of the 8003's strengths is [size=x-small]its damping factor, from Goodsound review "Another good aspect of its design is a high (100) damping factor, which helps define and tighten the bass response of some speakers.". 

[/size]
[size=x-small]This might well be what you are hearing and I hope to hear the same. Cheers[/size]

Dec 17, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
Ooh yeah, I was hoping to hear some impressions like that, thanks for that, looking forward to mine even more. One of the 8003's strengths is [size=x-small]its damping factor, from Goodsound review "Another good aspect of its design is a high (100) damping factor, which helps define and tighten the bass response of some speakers.". 

[/size]
[size=x-small]This might well be what you are hearing and I hope to hear the same. Cheers[/size]

I read that review too, but didn't understand what "damping factor" is.  Can you enlighten me?

Dec 18, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for the link. 

Since I'm getting little range at low volumes, should I try using an attenuator, like the Harrison Labs 20db Attenuator?  At very low volumes, I'm getting channel balance issues (left channel lower volume than right).  I could use the balance control, but then I wouldn't be able to use Source Direct, which I find to have better clarity.

Dec 20, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #8 of 9
jilgiljongiljing, I'd like to ask you what were your impressions on the Sonus Faber Luito. how would you describe their sound signature? forward? laid-back? I've never audition a Sonus speaker. how do they compare to the Paradigm Studio 20, for example? did you like them? 

congratz on your new amps acquisitions. I hope it'll bring better SQ. 

Dec 20, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #9 of 9
I have the SF Concertino's myself and felt it was logical to demo the amps using the Luitos (which sound remarkably similar btw, only with some improvements ofcourse). Sonus Faber house sound is quite different from the Paradigms. They are laid back, lush, sort of rich sounding. They are absolutely fantastic for everything other than rock and metal. For rock and metal I prefer Paradigm and my Martin Logan Motion speakers cos they have crisp treble, feel faster, bass is quick and the overall sound is more punchy and in your face. Metal on SF speakers is quite a chore to listen to honestly, its all mids and isnt fast enough or energetic enough to make you feel it. But put some jazz, classical, acoustic, slow blues, folk etc and its simply sublime, takes you away and you just sink into your listening chair and lose track of time.

Between my SF's and the Luitos I'd say Luito had deeper bass for sure, and maybe just maybe felt a wee bit more dynamic in nature, but that may just be the amp since I'm yet to try out the PM8003 on my setup, hoping they are just as dynamic. The intro to Yes - Fragile just blew me away, the sound of the guitar comes out of nowhere and just jumps at you, amazing stuff really. Waiting to check it out at home and see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back