Use of Sennheiser 590-600 with laptop
Jun 13, 2005 at 1:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

mat1979

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm interested in buying headphones for listening to music (including classical music) on my laptop and was wondering whether top of the range headphones such as the Sennheiser HD 590 or HD 600 would be "wasted" when plugged into a laptop. If so can anyone suggest suitable alternatives that wouldn't be a waste of money? Also, within this context, what's the importance (if any) of the nominal impedance of the headphones?

Thanks.

Jun 13, 2005 at 2:35 AM Post #2 of 12
welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet.

That being said, You could use the 600's straight from your headphone put on your laptop but it's going to be less than ideal for two main reasons.

First, it's going to be a little noisey due to the other electronics running and the harddrive and fans and such. (noise in the actual signal path)

Second, it's going to be hard to get enough power to a headphone like the 600 straight out of a laptop without an amp.

Ultimately, it all depends on what you are trying to get out of your system and also how much money you are willing to spend. Also, do you need closed headphones for isolation (both for you and those around you) or can you deal with an open phone?

Jun 13, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #4 of 12
all of the mid to high end sennheisers take benefit from amplification to open up their full potential, i used an HD 497 for a while from a soundcard line-out and enjoyed it - but with a better soundcard and amp, the difference was quite noticable

Jun 13, 2005 at 3:59 AM Post #5 of 12
HD595's are an option. They take less power to drive. There are 2 versions: one has 50 ohms impedance, the other had 120. If you can get the 50 ohm version, then your laptop should have no problems. The 590's are 120 ohms, and while they are easier to drive than the 600's, that's still too much for an unamped sound card to handle.

Jun 13, 2005 at 8:25 PM Post #7 of 12
I have the 120 ohm 590s and they work great straight out of the comp. They don't need to be amped at all. I've tested them amped and unamped out of my Mac and there is no difference. They sound better amped from the line out of an iPod, but that is because of the difference in quality between the headphone out and the line out, not because of the cans themselves. They have a very natural sound for classical music. Make sure to give them a listen. They might be the ones for you. I sure love mine.

See ya
Steve

Jun 13, 2005 at 8:56 PM Post #8 of 12
I used my old HD590 with my laptop with great success!I really enjoyed watching movies on it!They were easy to drive as well and i suggest the combo!
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2005 at 9:43 PM Post #9 of 12
I would recommend getting an amp with a USB soundcard, for example TotalBithead, because laptop soundcards are not very good.

Jun 13, 2005 at 10:40 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref
I would recommend getting an amp with a USB soundcard, for example TotalBithead, because laptop soundcards are not very good.

There are a few good ones. The Echo Indigo is a good example; there might be others. The bithead does have the advantage of being a portable amp.

Jun 14, 2005 at 1:40 AM Post #11 of 12
You should get the Echo Indigo PCMCIA sound card. I received a refurb HD600 from amazon today and my Indigo can drive it pretty well. The HD600 sounds great already. Just wonder how it will get better with more burn-in time.
280smile.gif

Jun 14, 2005 at 2:09 AM Post #12 of 12
I have HD590s and use them straight from my laptop, they sound great! Of course they are better when amped, but minimally. BTW I may be selling these soon just due to personal preference. LMK if you'd be interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back