Use of FiiO E07k vs E10k?
Oct 13, 2014 at 9:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

HowToMLG

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'll be starting off saying that I'm a noob and need some assistance from some knowledgeable audiophiles out here. I listen to music with a pair of ATH-M50's through my phone and computer(on-board sound card), and would like to bring in a sub-$100 DAC/AMP for increased sound quality. I've looked around and decided to go with either E07K or E10k, but some things confuse me a bit; the E07K is $10 above the E10k, but reviews (esp. from headfi's sub-$100 amp comparisons) suggest that E07 < E11, but somewhere in the comments says that if E10 were in the comparisons, it would be similar to E11. Does that put E10k > E07k? Then is E07k's higher price (and lowered performance?) a cost for it's portability?
Lastly, in my scenario (my phone is the Z2, which allows usb DAC connection to a DAC/AMP), would either a E07K or E10k, whichever is better for my case, be an improvement for my mobile device's output? It would definitely improve my computer output, as i can even hear static noises in the background and bad sound quality.
TL;DR:  E10k or E07k  for Z2 mobile music listening on ATH-M50. 

EDIT: Ok, so I didn't notice there was already a similar question asked, but  apparently E10k > E07k according to a search from a similar topic. If I went out to get the E10k, but there be an increase in all aspects of SQ as opposed to just plugging my headphones into the output of my phone?

Oct 17, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #2 of 20
I am not as knowledgable as other persons in head-fi but I would like to attempt to help you. The E07K is a Portable DAC/Amp and the E10K is a Desktop DAC/Amp. The E10K cannot operate through an OTG cable into your mobile phone as it needs more power than that. I have the E10k and the detail is incredible but the soundstaging is kinda narrow in my opinion. Both DAC/Amps output 200mW into 32 ohms so powerwise they are equivalent. I cannot comment on difference in sound quality as I only have the E10K. Just my input. 

Oct 17, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #3 of 20
I would also like to mention that if you are coming from onboard audio like from a laptop it is a huge improvement in terms of clarity. Your phone might have a fairly good DAC as sony is famous for good audio. This is just speculation though. 

Oct 17, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #4 of 20
Thanks for the reply! I didn't know about the e10k not being able to be powered by a phone. I listen to my music on my PC which has onboard, which is where I tell the difference between sound; it has a hiss and lesser sound quality compared to my phone. I usually listen to music on my phone though, and it doesnt have any hissing. So is it safe to assume that there will be no significant improvement from a portable dacs?
Also, I've been looking through some PC dacs for some future headphones I have my eyes on; would an audioengine d1 be good for headphones like q701 and dt990?

Oct 17, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #5 of 20
Ok, so I did some more information search again, except I now know that there is a power limit to DACs connecting to phones with OTG. I've read http://blog.jdslabs.com/?p=838 and it mentioned something about using a self-powered USB hub, so it would go something like;

Phone -> OTG cable -> USB self powered hub <- DAC.

If i got something like:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4475078&csid=_61 
I would be able to connect something like the Audioengine d1 to my phone right?

Oct 17, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #6 of 20
I also read on jdslabs blog that you can use self-powered USB hubs (if the phone recognizes it as just a usb device) and connect it to your phone, then connecting the DAC to the usb hub. Would something like a D1 Audioengine be significantly better than the Z2 output? 

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #7 of 20
I don't know about those things much but I heard about that self powered hub as well. I had the same issue of my laptop onboard sounding worse than my phone (note 3). Tbh flagship phones have really good audio. My phone DAC has a better soundstage than the E10K but the E10k has a tad bit more detail and wayyyyy more power. I also have no experience with the D1 but it is well respected DAC/Amp so it should be good. I wish I could help more but I lack the proper experience in some areas.

Oct 18, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #8 of 20
Thanks again, you definitely helped me answer many of these questions. There really isn't much information (from my research; maybe there is some i havent found) about phone DACs vs desktop DACs. I'm probably going to go with the Audioengine D1's for my desktop for now, and maybe get another pair of headphones if theres a sale :)
I really have my eyes on some AKGs to see what it sounds like, as they are apparently completely different from ATH m50s

Mar 4, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #11 of 20
hi there I'm a noob in those audio specs but I do appreciate good sound quality and currently I'm searching for a good dac/amp. Portability is not really important but nice to have though. so between the e10k and the e07k which one have the best dac/amp ? 

Mar 4, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #13 of 20
so besides the portability of the e07k, the dac/amp is better with the e10k? can you tell me the specifics why ? just wanna know from an audiophile perspective 
biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #14 of 20
I think the E10 had a much better DAC than the E7, but I think the E07K and the E10K are probably very similar. The E07K was a significant upgrade over the E7.

Jun 7, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #15 of 20
E17k, E07k, E10k, all have the same DAC. E10k has no aux in and must be powered by USB. E10k cannot function as a stand alone amp. E07K and E17K have more features. E17k has a slightly better amp section than E07K. E10K bests them all. E10k only has volume control, E17k and E07k have treble, bass, and balance control. E17k has line-out and coax digital in. E07k has two headphone outs. E07k can be used with the E09K dock. I think that's it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back