Use LM4562 in Xtra X-1?
May 1, 2007 at 1:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Madgravity34

100+ Head-Fier
I have 2 of the LM4562 op-amps incoming in the mail to me and I was wondering if I could replace the OP2134 in my Xtra X-1 with one of these? Would it require some other changes or would I be able to do a drop in?

May 1, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #2 of 6
I tried LM4562 a while ago with no prolems. I also tried AD8620 and AD8058 with no problems. When I removed the last of them (AD8620) I accidentally destroyed one of the small pads. That was before looking at Tangent's tutorial videos. So my advise is look at this tutorial and use that technique. The PCB in Xtra is not of the same quality as in more expensive amps.

May 2, 2007 at 9:04 AM Post #3 of 6
Alright, thanks a ton for the advice.

May 3, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 6
Not wasting any time are you? I was about to change the opamp myself before I sold it. The AD8620 was at the top of my list, as it was highly recommended by Andrea in the "Mystery Amp" thread, but I ran into difficulties in obtaining one. Let me know how it works out.

May 4, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #5 of 6
Sure, Ill let you know how it goes out. I know its kind of quick but I bought this amp because I figured it would be fun to mod it and get the most out of it because I dont want to spend a lot on my portable setup, but want to get great sound and have fun modding. I'm looking into building a home amp pretty soon, so Ill mod this (better caps + opamps) to see what I can get out of it.

May 4, 2007 at 12:17 PM Post #6 of 6
I have plans to mod the Xtra, but I don't really know what to do with it. The buffer stage sounds nice and warm but the treble is not as clear as I like. Maybe I change to Sijosae's buffers, maybe just change the output transistors. Maybe I'll add a ground channel.

I'm not too fond of the opamps I've tried so far, but there's still some I want to try. Maybe I'll add an opamp later, but for now I'm happy with unity gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back