Use Headphones as Microphones?
Oct 5, 2003 at 6:27 AM Post #16 of 28
It shouldn't be hard... gotta get back into the ee groove (haven't done any real electronics since I finished the kgss... damn school), but 100k/10k voltage divider and a good capacitor would probably do the job assuming high impedance headphones... what do you think?

Oct 6, 2003 at 12:10 AM Post #17 of 28
I couldn't help myself, I compared a SR 60, HD 600 and AT 3035 (the last is an LD-condensor mic).

Feel free to listen to the results yourself (SR 60, HD 600 and AT 3035 respectively).

Headphones.mp3

I feel the SR 60 sounded a bit better than the HD 600, but neither sounded as good as the AT 3035.

Oct 6, 2003 at 5:38 AM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by dMoog
A couple of years ago I did the same thing but the other way around; using a microphone as a speaker. The sound was crap and the volume was really low, but it worked!

hey i did the same thing too!

i really wonder tho if you can damage mics or headphones by using them in the vice versa situation...

Oct 6, 2003 at 8:27 AM Post #19 of 28
WHAT THE F............

Excuse my language but.......geee...........how does this work?

You mean to tell me
that everytime an external sound hits my headphones the diagram flexuates??????

Sorry, I just did not know this was possible
eek.gif

Anyone who cares to explain why would be a big help.
cool.gif

Oct 6, 2003 at 12:52 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by jlo mein
hey i did the same thing too!

i really wonder tho if you can damage mics or headphones by using them in the vice versa situation...

I have had at least 25 hours recording time on my SR-60's and they still sound just as good. Perhaps more long term usage might have affects but if you are using a portable MD recorder I don't see why it would hurt.

Czilla...you are right on. A microphone operates under the same principal: sound hits a diaphram and moves the motor through the coil assembly, producing a current. The headphone or speaker driver creates sound by doing this process in reverse.

As douglas256 showed us in his recording (nice job by the way) a headphone can still record a decent sound, it is just not optimized to be used as a mic, thus the greater efficiency and clarity when a real mic is used to record.

Oct 6, 2003 at 2:14 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

You mean to tell me
that everytime an external sound hits my headphones the diagram flexuates??????

Even more scary is this scenario with loudspeakers [edit: spelling]. The speakers are constantly being affected by radiating patterns in the room reflecting back to the driver. This not only affects the performance of the speaker but constantly modifies the loading of the amplifier which then eminates back through the entire playback chain. The effect is quite small, but larger than you might imagine.

Oct 6, 2003 at 9:44 PM Post #23 of 28
Lol, that sounds great, hah! I should try that!

On a more realistic note, it may burn in the drivers but it wont burn in all the wiring or cables or any of the other electronics for that matter. There may be slight current going through it all but nowhere close the the amount if the headphone is burned in properly.

Oct 7, 2003 at 7:07 AM Post #25 of 28
Thanks for the responses to my question.

Why isn't electro-magnetic backlash a bigger problem wih headphones then? Also, does this mean my headphones will sound different based on external noise?

Thanks.....this is most interesting.

Oct 8, 2003 at 2:59 AM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Czilla9000
Why isn't electro-magnetic backlash a bigger problem wih headphones then?

Just guessing: lower levels? Also, our heads aren't that reflective?

Oct 8, 2003 at 3:07 PM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
Just guessing: lower levels? Also, our heads aren't that reflective?

Anyone with a steel plate in their head want to volunteer to measure electromagnetic backlash and we'll compare?

Dec 21, 2004 at 10:44 PM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jefemeister
Canman and I recorded a Roger Waters show using a MD recorder and a pair of Grado SR-60s as a microphone awhile back. It actually came out sounding really good.

If it is any good I wouldn't mind having a copy of that. I've probably got something we could trade...
Covert binaural recording - wear a pair of open heaphones during a concert - interesting possibility :wink: Of course it would probably ruin the experience of the live show, and wouldn't sound as good when you got home. Still something to think about. Hmmm maybe we could convince friends to wear the headphones to "protect" their hearing
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back