Use headphone extension as interconnect?
Jun 22, 2005 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

deanchat

New Head-Fier
I want to be able to conneect my SR-71 to my home system and sit on the couch (with the SR71) about 10 ft away. My thought is to get a 3ft RCA to mini adapter which will stay connected to the home system all the time and use a long mini extension interconnect to connect between the adapter and the SR71 when I like.

It seems that mini-plug to mini-jack headphone extensions are readily avaiable in 6-10 ft lengths and seem to be cheaper than long mini-mini interconnects (compare Cable Pro's EarCandy mini-mini to the EarCandy mini headphone extension, for example). Are the headphone extensions usable as an interconnect or is there something fundamentally different between a headphone extension cable and an interconnect cable?

Thanks!
Dean

Jun 22, 2005 at 10:43 PM Post #2 of 7
That should work out fine, I don't see any problems with your idea
tongue.gif

Jun 23, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvw
Headphone extension has no shielding and IC typically has shielding. This will work as long as your house has no serious RFI/EMI problem.

Really? I've never heard this, though I've never investigated the differences between ICs and extention cables before. Do you know why they do this?

Jun 23, 2005 at 8:17 PM Post #5 of 7
its A OK to do that, though a direct connection would be best, you may encounter potential signal degradation going through so many stop gaps and also varied resistance.

whether these would result in anything audibly noticeable I dont know.

Jun 24, 2005 at 5:58 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
Really? I've never heard this, though I've never investigated the differences between ICs and extention cables before. Do you know why they do this?

IC typically deals with lower signal. In order to improve S/N ratio and to shield the audio signal from noise. Here's an example:

http://www.vandenhul.com/artpap/wiring13.htm

There are exception of course. But that will not be good engineering practice against presence of noise.

The extension cord construction is very much like speaker wire or headphone cord. Because the signal level is much higher, noise is insignificant compared to the signal. So no shielding is needed. So normally, there is no shielding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back