Use and Disuse
Aug 8, 2016 at 6:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

zept0sec

Head-Fier
As I've said before, I recently dusted off the old collection and started listening to music again. Nothing too terribly complex right now, just an old pair of Shure E2Cs running off my Samsung Galaxy S7. Waiting on a pair of Focal Elears and a Dragonly Red

In the meantime, I've put in about 10 hours of listening into the Shures. Initually, they sounded woefully underpowered in bass and midbass, but they seem to be getting better in that regard. Is this normal for earphones that haven't been used in (about 7) years? How much of a change can be expected over that time frame?

Aug 8, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #2 of 3
As I've said before, I recently dusted off the old collection and started listening to music again. Nothing too terribly complex right now, just an old pair of Shure E2Cs running off my Samsung Galaxy S7. Waiting on a pair of Focal Elears and a Dragonly Red

In the meantime, I've put in about 10 hours of listening into the Shures. Initually, they sounded woefully underpowered in bass and midbass, but they seem to be getting better in that regard. Is this normal for earphones that haven't been used in (about 7) years? How much of a change can be expected over that time frame?

The change you are hearing is most likely not the iem but due to acclimation. When your brain gets used to one sound signature it's hard for it to adjust to another and takes time. During your time away you most likely listened to music at times still with headphones or speakers or such with a more commercial sound meant for marketing towards the masses. This includes a massive mid-bass hump as well as heightened bass. When your brain heard the shures it thought "this isn't what I'm used to, this sounds terrible!" But over time it adjusted itself to the headphone sound signature. The process should take a few days of use, but no longer than a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back