USB vs X-Fi Optical Output
May 19, 2011 at 4:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

DemonicLemming

500+ Head-Fier
Still trying to dig into the specific of computer audio, so if I ask something stupid, just tell me.

Pondering the difference between using USB direct in to my NFB-3, vs using the optical output of my X-Fi Titanium.  Assuming foobar with WASAPI is the same player used for both options, which would give me a more "direct" throughput from foobar to my DAC?  I have a nagging feeling that something isn't quite set up right in my Creative console to ensure everything is going bit-matched dandy without any weird DSP effects, unwanted upsampling, or the like being applied.  I do like how optical gives me galvanic isolation from any electrical sock-eating gremlins in my computer, but sticking the X-Fi in the signal path (even assuming I do have everything right and it's acting as only a transport) makes me wonder about the merits of both methods.

I'll be switching between USB and optical tonight to get real-world results, but I'm interested in the academic side, too (ergo, this post). 

May 22, 2011 at 8:00 AM Post #2 of 4
You can set the X-FI to anything from 16/44.1 to 24/96 in SPDIF-Out Properties window. Mine is set for 24/96 as my pre'pro's DAC will accept it. Although I have very little 24/96 material, the up-sampling of less space  hungry materials through Windows 7  sounds great. I just don't ponder whether the grass could be greener with either tuning or upgrades, since I cannot now distinguish my collection of music at 256, 320, or 1411, stored in iTunes from SACD.

May 22, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #3 of 4
The only thing I was wondering about that is, at least on the control panel I have, that box is under "Shared" properties...I wasn't sure if leaving the exclusive modes boxes checked would override that selection based on the player's structure or DSP settings (foobar, for example, with no upsampling DSP enabled).

May 22, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #4 of 4
I've got both boxes checked, allowing applications to take exclusive control of this device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back