USB Vs. Optical Vs. Coaxial
Aug 24, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #121 of 127
Aug 28, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #122 of 127
indeed, the VIA generic Envy24 drivers carry an "auto" samplerate option, which is active whatever you enable S/PDIF or analog PCM.

ENVY24_LP_4.Jpg

I'm getting sick and tired of the Asus/CMI drivers(3 resident apps/fixed samplerate/crappy HP amp on the STX & ST), I'm gonna take a dive on the Prodigy HD2 Advance SE....$100 shipped in ebay, and it does support KS on XP...that should make me a happy camper
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 28, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #123 of 127
what does that auto setting do?

are you sure its a resampler? I was not under the impression envy24 DID hardware resamping. it was originally a 'musician' chipset and that audience has no need for such things.

I am guessing that it has 3 settings: locked at 44, locked at 48 and auto-detect.

the last time I used my envy24 (a long long time ago), there was a 4front linux driver for it and there was no resample option anywhere to be found. that makes me think it was a windows software driver thing and NOT an attribute of the chipset.

Aug 28, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #124 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well there's a very simple test to make :
-play a 16/44.1 file in DS
-then simultaneously play a 24/96 file in ASIO in foobar

such a windows centric way of doing things (lol).

in linux, there's no asio and no samperate conversion unless the chip, itself, is not supporting the target rate.

for every chip that supports a native 44.1, if you throw 44.1 data at it, it simply takes it and clocks out at that rate. no conversion in linux happens like it does in windows. linux has never had this notion of 'internal 48k' sound architecture.

the way I can tell that things are not resampled is that I can read, directly, on an LED display (that I built) the samplerate as read by an old 8412 cirrus (crystal, back then) chip.

when it says 44, its really 44 with no doubt in my mind.

the only thing that COULD be happening is rescaling (normalization); but that's much less harsh than resampling and also unlikely to be done automatically in linux unless you asked for it.

Sep 3, 2009 at 12:08 PM Post #125 of 127
yes, linux is right on the money...but there's no foobar, no Reclock, no avisynth, no ffdshow...I mean
rolleyes.gif

that was an old screenshot, the Prodigy HD2 comes w/ either the ESI E-WDM drivers...or the generic Envy24 drivers.

it can be crossflashed to use either of these, but the only added value of the ESI is ASIO....which I don't care for, all I want is bit-matched KS(for both foobar & Reclock), plus VIA seems to update their drivers far more often than Audiotrak(the Prodigy HD2 has been phased out).

the "auto" samplerate will make sure that no SRC takes place, and the drivers will even tell you the current hardware sample rate :

viaa.png

exactly what I needed!
beerchug.gif

the fixed samplerate, the 3 resident apps, the random lockups/BSOD's and the geeky GUI of the Asus Xonar cards were making my eyes bleed
no_code.gif

and the AK4396 does 128X oversampling, the PCM1792 was 64X by default..Asus didn't bother increasing it to 128X
rolleyes.gif

plus, the STX measures better than the Prodigy HD2...but not the ST, which is basically on par..and the caps on the Essence cards are very harsh and agressive, didn't like it at all.

Sep 3, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #127 of 127
well, luckily VIA didn't create this chip...they bought it from another company and simply put their name on it
smily_headphones1.gif

but anyway, these killer bitperfect drivers together w/ the Prodigy HD2's AK4396 should be everything I've been craving for
tongue.gif

I bought the cd1k second hand like 15 years ago, I decided to ditch it when I got the DT770/600Ω...but I'm buying it again to the friend I sold it to. Its SS is unmatched, in movies it's just
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back