USB vs Coaxial question
May 14, 2010 at 8:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

CooLy_oNE

100+ Head-Fier
Hi..My little dot DAC 1 can output 24bit/192khz...but isn't that the USB input can only input 16bit/48 khz?

does it mean that if I use USB as my input, It will be useless having a capability of 24bit/192 khz output?

I'm so confused...so anyone please expain this to me...

and as for coaxial cable? does it carry audio signal or audio data into the DAC?

May 14, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #2 of 7
Indeed, if you use the USB input on the DAC1 you will only get at most 16bit/48Khz input/output out of it. As for other SPDIF inputs (coaxial, optical or bnc) you can get higher input and output sampling rate and bit depth.

Coaxial carries SPDIF signal which is a digital audio signal.

May 14, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #3 of 7
That's correct, by using USB you lose the option of outputting up to 24/192.  The other inputs on the LD DAC-I allow 24/192, though.  USB is sadly often limited.

Coaxial RCA, TOSLINK, and BNC carry digital audio data.  RCA cables (the red/white ones you probably know) carry audio signal.

May 14, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #4 of 7
So it will be better for me to use coaxial I could? my motherboard support coaxial out...

but from coaxial output? will it by pass my soundcard? or all the digital data will be converted by my DAC?

thanks all for the reply

May 14, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #5 of 7
It does not bypass your onboard sound card entirely, only the DAC section part, any DSP applied before this will still affect your analog out at the end of the DAC1.

May 14, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #6 of 7
What do you mean not entirely? so the audio will be processes by my sound card first then go into my dac? which mean that if my soundcard is not good, it will feed degraded signal to my DAC?

May 14, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #7 of 7
The audio going through your soundcard into your DAC through SPDIF interface might be processed by your sound card if you set it to, and if it does have this ability, these modifications are done in the digital domain and not in the analog one. An example is the X-Fi based sound card, it has Crystality and CMSS-3D DSPs among others, if you turn on these features, these digital processing will be applied to the digital signal that is sent through SPDIF interface to your DAC. If you turn off every DSP of your sound card, logically the signal will be passed as is from your software player (software player might have DSP of itself) to your DAC unless the driver or your sound card itself is broken and applies something you don't intend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back