USB vs Coax...
Sep 30, 2011 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

jleeper

New Head-Fier
Thanks to some help from this forum, I've just gotten a pair of Audio Technica AD-700s to listen to at work on my laptop.  The sound from the jack on my PC isn't bad, but I have a Beringer UCA202 that I'm using right now as a DAC/amplifier.  (Already had the UCA202 and could stand to get it back home for some recording I do every-once-in-a-while.)  

My laptop's docking station has a coax out that will send 24/96.  My question is should I get a that takes coax input and possibly get an amp to go with it. Or should I get a USB  DAC/amp combo like a  Fiio E10, which I hope is available soon.  The E10 will give me a data stream with same info, but flowing through a USB cable.  

I really don't want to spend a lot, and it's looking like using coax will cost a lot more than the E10 or uDAC-2, etc.  Portability isn't an issue, the AD700's sure aren't portable :).  I mostly listen to classical, mainly chamber music and Glass/Reich minimalist stuff, and some indie/alt stuff.

I think I may do a pre-order on the E10, but would like some feedback to see if I'm on the right track. 

Oct 1, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #2 of 2
It is really up to you, I would suggest getting a unit that has both. Make sure you check the specs though as many units with USB input will be limited to 16/44.1 or 16/48.
It really depends on the implementation of the USB. Having an S/Pdif input allows you to use higher quality USB to S/Pdif converters down the road if you want. If you only have USB and there is some issues you are stuck. If I had to choose only 1 type, I would go with S/Pdif as it give you more options.
Hope that Helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back