USB, Toslink DAC/Amp options?
Mar 3, 2010 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

sirlukas

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

Now it is my turn to ask stupid questions (or maybe not so stupid as I do not know the answers to them).
I am in the market for a DAC/Amp ideally with both USB and Optical Toslink inputs with built in headphone amp for my Denon AH-D2000.
I have been reading too much and got very confused.
So far I do not think I would be modding any of the candidates, unless seller offers the service and such option.

My candidates are:

Should you have other better/cheaper solutions, like DAC and separate Headphone Amp, you suggestions are more than welcome.
Obviously the less I spend the better for me and my relationship
wink.gif

I need it mostly for music from PC (USB) and PS3 (Toslink) gaming too.
I like the idea of portability of iBasso D10, even though I will probably not use it on the go at all. Price could be a decider here.

Thank you.

Mar 3, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #3 of 11
It is almost five times my budget, looks good though. I guess that it should not be called a Budget Product of the Year when it costs over 1000 US dollars?

PS. I did not mention that I would prefer if the product was available to buy in the UK.

Mar 4, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #5 of 11
It's 'budget' because it's all in one. People spend $1k (commonly) to $40k (rarely) on a DAC alone.

Another nifty little unit you should add to your list is the Zero DAC. (Look it up on eBay.) It's really moddable, so if you have any DIY aspirations, it would be a good unit to look at.

Mar 4, 2010 at 8:05 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hybrys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's 'budget' because it's all in one. People spend $1k (commonly) to $40k (rarely) on a DAC alone.

Another nifty little unit you should add to your list is the Zero DAC. (Look it up on eBay.) It's really moddable, so if you have any DIY aspirations, it would be a good unit to look at.

If that is "budget", then my list should be called "Best Free DAC/Amp of the Century"
wink.gif

The Zero DAC has not got a USB input, so I think it does not qualify.
Anyone has anything to add, or cross off my list?

EDIT: Just noticed there is a USB version too, so up on the list
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #7 of 11
I'd go for a y1 or y2 dac and a Mini3 amp from AMB. They are diy but there are pro builders out there who'll do it for you (MisterX for example) and you can sometimes find them s/h too.

Just cos they're portable, doesn't mean they don't sound fantastic. They do. You might even be happy driving your Denons directly from a y2.

Mar 4, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ekliptiko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ha. $1000 is a budget system? im on the wrong site. damn.

Yeah, clearly.
wink.gif

Mar 4, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #9 of 11
I have denon d2000, and have just paired them with an ibasso D4 (usb only).

5 hours in, and I am really enjoying the sound! Its replaced an arcam av350 surround amp, and the differences become harder to identify the more I burn it in!

ONe other thing, if you go ibasso, get it direct from ibasso. My D4 cost me $219 (around £160) which is ALOT cheaper than buying from within the uk. 2 days delivery too!
atsmile.gif

Mar 5, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #10 of 11
My only worry about the iBasso is that it will not be as good SQ as the dedicated desktop DACs. Do I have to worry at all, as my headphones are low impedance only.

The other option popped out on another forum to use Mini Disk Player as a DAC, these are cheap as chips, but offer amazing quality, especially for the money people are selling them for now!

Mar 5, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #11 of 11
My Arcam AVR350 original RRP was about £1500, and has a wolfson WM8740 dac.
The Ibasso D4 is under £200, and not only has the same DAC, but has 2 of them!

Don't worry about power output, I don't need the D4 above mid-way, and it doesn't distort when going higher (though the D4 has more power than the D10 IIRC).

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirlukas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My only worry about the iBasso is that it will not be as good SQ as the dedicated desktop DACs. Do I have to worry at all, as my headphones are low impedance only.

The other option popped out on another forum to use Mini Disk Player as a DAC, these are cheap as chips, but offer amazing quality, especially for the money people are selling them for now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back