USB-to-Toslink converters?
Jan 24, 2007 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Packgrog

500+ Head-Fier
I've been trying to find a simple USB to optical converter to connect my computer audio to an external DAC that only has optical input. Any suggestions?

I've come across the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro mentioned here, which seems very reasonably priced. I would have no use for the built-in DAC/amp, though. I'm only interested in the USB to Toslink transport. The price is certainly more appealing than the M-Audio devices that seem to cost about twice to three times as much. My concern is: does the TBAAM alter the sound in any way through the optical output beyond what the OS would alter? The selling point of artificial surround-sound is off-putting to me. I just want a direct conversion.

If there's any simpler and even less expensive USB-to-Toslink converters out there, please let me know as well.

Thanks in advance!

Jan 24, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #2 of 8
I've tried about four different products, and to be honest, nothing has really compared to the M-Audio Transit (or M-Audio Audiophile if your want coaxial). The device comes with its own proprietary ASIO drivers which are rock solid and supports up to 96Khz, whereas many of those other USB to Toslink converters you see require the use of generic drivers and only support 48Khz.

Save yourself the trouble. If you want something that works day in and day out without problems, get yourself a Transit.

Jan 24, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #3 of 8
The question is: does this matter if I have no intention of using the internal DAC? I'll only be using it as a transport to either the optical input of my iriver H120 or (hopefully) to a portable version of the Monica 2 DAC.

If it DOES make a difference even with just the USB-to-Toslink passthrough, then I'll consider it, but this thing seems kinda pricey for what I'm after. Even $75 on Amazon seems a bit much when I don't have any intention of using the device's internal DAC.

-Packgrog

Jan 24, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #4 of 8
AV-710 is probably one of the cheapest and most flexible digital transports

cheap = $25ish

flexible = bitperfect PCM, 44.1KHz, 48KHz, 96KHz, etc... AC3/DTS... all through toslink

too bad it's only PCI
wink.gif

Jan 24, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #5 of 8
DAMN YOU! Tease.

I really need the USB-to-Toslink since I'm stuck using a (somewhat outdated) laptop: a Compaq Evo N410c. It's a nice, lightweight laptop, even with the handlebar battery, but the sound output is lousy from the headphone jack, and mediocre from the line-out on the Media Expansion Unit (which I leave on my desk).

Meh.

Jan 24, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #6 of 8
I suggest the Edirol UA-1EX. I have one and does a sterling job. It can put out optical via mini-Toslink so you'll just need a mini-to-Toslink converter.

Pretty much the same as the Transit, but I believe people have had better luck with the Edirol drivers, especially for ASIO output.

Jan 24, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #8 of 8
Yeah, the TBAAM doesn't state the Sample Rate on any site I've seen. Bummer.

Anyone tried the Zalman ZM-RSSC? Seems to just about fit the bill for about $20 less...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back