USB to SPDIF converter vs. music server (squeezbox)
Jan 12, 2011 at 3:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

shadowlord

100+ Head-Fier
Right now i use a fanless PC system to supply the digital data to my Audio-GD DAC3SE.
To be honest i tried a few USB converters (Monitor 01 USD, Hi-Face, Digital Interface) but the computer is always making some problems.
I'm tired of trying different buffers sizes and handling strange OS issues.

So i wonder if it would be better to get some of the squeezebox like offerings and simply use that as a transport.

Is the digital out of those units comparable to the USB converters?
Is there a brand / model which you would recommend.

I would prefer a solution were i can connect a USB harddrive directly to the unit. But i can go wireless if needed.

Jan 14, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #2 of 11
I have just moved from a Roku Soundbrdge to a Vortexbox. I was considering the Sonos/squeezebox route but for me the Vortex box offers much more.
If you are not familiar with it, it is a Linux distribution for music. You get a music server, CD/DVD Ripper, squeezeserver, DLNA Server, DAAP Server. Plus it has an implementation of a Linux MPD player.

It is donationware, they do sell a preinstalled hardware, but as you already have the PC it could be worth a shout.

You can control the player just like a squeezebox.  Mine is running on atom and is fanless. I am using an ESI U24XL as a digital interface, but will likely upgrade.
Sound is fantastic.

I had tried using a Win 7 laptop but I was fed up with the windows USB latency causing clicks etc.

Hope this helps

Sep 22, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #3 of 11

Quote:
So i wonder if it would be better to get some of the squeezebox like offerings and simply use that as a transport.  
Is the digital out of those units comparable to the USB converters?
Is there a brand / model which you would recommend.

I would prefer a solution were i can connect a USB harddrive directly to the unit. But i can go wireless if needed.

The Squeezebox touch does what you want, wired or wirelessly (with built-in wireless g).  Stereophile gives the digital outs of the Squeezebox Touch a strong rating.  You have to spend a fair amount to find a USB to coax etc. signal converter that will run a high resolution DAC, but the squeezebox digital out is already high rez (though not highest rez).  See specs:
  1. USB port and SD card slot allows access to music and pictures
  2. View album art and your photos
  3. Supports sampling rates up to 24 bit / 96 kHz

I also have Vortexbox and love it.  Finally, FLAC quality going to my main stereo.  It will stream to Squeezebox, iTunes, upnp and much more.  Right now I'm just running 16/44 USB to my upsampling DAC and stereo, but at some point I'll get a higher resolution solution set up.  There are so many options it is confusing, and more keep appearing.  You can get USB to coax/optical/I2S converters that go up to really high sampling rates, and inexpensive ones that get you to 24/96.

See computeraudiophile.com , vortexbox.org/forum/ and sonore.us for lots of solutions that fit the whole range of computer knowledge, time and budgets.  I hope this helps.

Sep 22, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #4 of 11
To be honest usb to spdif converters is not big win. It is actualy half (*half-hearted) solution. Why? Problems is supply clock which is in this convertors (hiface, stello etc.) and external DAC have to derive it from the spdif signal. It means there have to be very quality output buffer and power of (hiface, stello, musiland etc.) but the quality is probably very low because it takes power from USB. It is also necessary to use high quality oscilator but it is using a little manufactures because it is expensive. Ok for most people easy solution and probably sufficient solution for money but it has far to quality solution. I am sure different between usb to spdif convertors and squeezbox will be small. 

Sep 22, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #5 of 11

Knopi -- you are so wrong.

Top USB->SPDIF devices leave entry level Squeezeboxes far behind. I compared Squeezebox Duet (lampizator modded, linear PSU) with HiFace Evo and Audiophilleo 2. Both are far better than the Duet. The difference on Audio-GD dacs is quite stunning. If you are wondering if Touch is any better, read this review. Perhaps the Transporter is (was?) comparable, but it is not any longer possible to order one in Europe..

I think Stereophile admired the Touch when connected to an Ayre DAC through USB, not SPDIF.

Sep 23, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #6 of 11
the SBox Touch is a really nice gadget - especially used as a wireless network player - it's fantastic. but it's not a usb/spdif converter, so I'm not sure why you're considering it. if you think it'll be an upgrade in SQ over the PC+foobar, it won't. it's maybe a slight different in sound, but it's not an upgrade. (ime)

what I did I sold the dac, converters, and put the money toward a dac with inbuilt  jitter correction.

Sep 24, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #7 of 11
axv - ok as regards sound between usb to spdif convertor and Duet, I am probably wrong I didn't have chance compare it but as regards technical performance of Stello u3, Hiface, Audiophileo what I wrote it is reality. On the other hand it has also benefits you can play via almost everything like notebook etc.   

Sep 24, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #8 of 11
Why not just get a V-LINK?

Dec 28, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
the SBox Touch is a really nice gadget - especially used as a wireless network player - it's fantastic. but it's not a usb/spdif converter, so I'm not sure why you're considering it. if you think it'll be an upgrade in SQ over the PC+foobar, it won't. it's maybe a slight different in sound, but it's not an upgrade. (ime)

what I did I sold the dac, converters, and put the money toward a dac with inbuilt  jitter correction.

This....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back