USB to Dual XLR (Rokit 8)
Dec 6, 2013 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Folex

Member of the Trade: PLAudio

There has to be something cheap out there under $70 that is purely USB to dual XLR that I could plug my rokit 8 speakers into. I have a dual XLR to 3.5mm cable and no matter what I do it has a slight static when I'm playing nothing. I've tried plugging both speakers directly into the wall and still has the same issue. When I unplug the 3.5mm plug the noise goes away. I tried a usb sound card but still has the issue of using a 3.5mm plug. Any ideas ?

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #2 of 12
http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/processors/products/xda2
http://www.stereophile.com/content/hrt-music-streamer-hd-usb-da-processor

Don't think I can think of anything else with XLR out. Can't you just use a 3.5mm --> Dual RCA? I'm using that setup and it's fine.

Dec 7, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #3 of 12
The 3.5mm no matter what I plug it into causes a hum. I've plugged it into 2x usb sound cards and then directly into the computer and the hum noise doesn't change. It makes the same hum noise when I touch the 3.5mm to my finger.  I'm not sure if this is an inherent flaw with 3.5mm and these speakers or its just a crappy wire. I ordered a $12 ground loop isolator and I'm going to see if that works. If it doesn't then I'm probably going to cut off the 3.5mm termination and resolder a new one on there. If that doesn't work then I'll prob attempt to make a usb to dual XLR cable myself. 

Edit: Cord is a 3.5mm to dual XLR

Dec 7, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #4 of 12
  The 3.5mm no matter what I plug it into causes a hum. I've plugged it into 2x usb sound cards and then directly into the computer and the hum noise doesn't change. It makes the same hum noise when I touch the 3.5mm to my finger.  I'm not sure if this is an inherent flaw with 3.5mm and these speakers or its just a crappy wire. I ordered a $12 ground loop isolator and I'm going to see if that works. If it doesn't then I'm probably going to cut off the 3.5mm termination and resolder a new one on there. If that doesn't work then I'll prob attempt to make a usb to dual XLR cable myself. 

Edit: Cord is a 3.5mm to dual XLR

The thing is, 3.5mm is unbalanced and XLR is balanced. Though I'm not the most knowledgeable about these things, I'm pretty sure they don't play well with each other without a converter, but I could be wrong.

Dec 8, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #5 of 12
You almost certainly have a ground loop issue. The ground on the KRKs is at a different potential to the ground on your PC.

A ground lift switch or isolator might work for you. As may plugging the PC and active speakers into the same wall socket.

A more permanent solution is difficult to recommend at your budget. I don't know of a USB interface with balanced out for $70 or less.

If you could scrape up a little bit extra you could try this M-Audio M-Track for ~$100.

You will also need two new cables. Balanced 1/4" jack to XLR. Most interfaces use these jack plugs rather than XLR to save space on the back panel. Same thing though from your point of view.

The balanced cable from interface to speakers provides isolation. (No common ground). Rather like (but better than)  how some people use optical S/PDIF between audiophile DAC and PC tp break the ground connection.

Since you have bought a pair of prosumer active monitors it makes sense to also buy the sort of interface they were designed to work best with.

Dec 8, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #6 of 12
http://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-2i2-USB-Recording-Interface/dp/B005OZE9SA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386534109&sr=8-1&keywords=audio+interface

I would recommend that, has a nice big monitor volume knob (what you want for a pair of studio monitors) and has balanced outputs. Just need a pair of 1/4" TRS(m) to XLR(f) cables.

Dec 8, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #7 of 12
hrmm I may have figured out how to fix the problem. It seems when the monitors are powered on when I boot the computer there is a little surge of power. I hear this light sudden noise coming out of the speaker. After this the hum happens.  If I keep the speakers off while the computer boots up the hum is gone and stays gone. 

Also this is what I'm going to try. If it does not work I plan to take it apart and see what is inside. So either way I win.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EAQTRI/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dec 8, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #8 of 12
Honestly the hum being gone when you have the speakers off during startup and then turning them on doesn't make much sense to me but, whatever works.

Dec 8, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #9 of 12
Likely the cable it actually picking up interference between the 1/8 inch and the xlr ends. You need a short 1/8 inch to 2 1/4 inch female trs adapter and then run trs to trs cables to the monitors the cable you are using is not shielded well so it is picking up interference if the adapter is short then use long shielded trs cables to get to the speakers it won't pick up the interference.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

Feb 11, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #10 of 12
http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/processors/products/xda2
http://www.stereophile.com/content/hrt-music-streamer-hd-usb-da-processor

Don't think I can think of anything else with XLR out. Can't you just use a 3.5mm --> Dual RCA? I'm using that setup and it's fine.

I'd buy the xda if it wasn't so huge and the hrt is perfect minus the outrageous cost.   Any other ideas for under 200 that aren't massive ?

Feb 11, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #11 of 12
I have an HRT MS HD, gotta say it's not cheap but it is a great unit.

The Presonus Audiobox USB is about $90 with rebate right now, it's a recording interface but the DAC in it is as good as anything near the price and it has balanced output on 1/4" TRS so you can hook it up to your monitors with a 1/4" TRS patch cable. It's small 1/3U rack size.

The Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is about the same thing from another company, small, TRS outputs but it's red rather than blue, and a nicer case I think runs $150

Those are both going to be a little more complicated on the software side of things but once they're setup they work well. If you play guitar or sing you can use it to record yourself to, piano also, really anything that makes noise.

Feb 12, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #12 of 12
I purely want these to rid my rokit 8's of hum when I play games. I use the speakers 85% of the time just to listen to music. And I cringe when I decide to play games and have to deal with the hum. When I take the graphic card out the speaker run perfect on games minus the poor graphics. 

Edit: I decided to pull the trigger on the xda2. I like the idea of it being a headphone amp too. I am gonna get a custom wooden stand to put around it and then put my computer monitor on top of the wooden stand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back