usb to dac or s/pif to dac better? and what dac?
Jul 3, 2015 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

vanDelft

New Head-Fier
Hello, 
I am reading a lot in search for the best option. But there is some information head-fi/google cant profide me, and I would like to ask.
The problem is the poor sound qualitie. When I hooked up a denon dcd 1460 cd player the music sounds so much better then music out of the desktop (dynamics, placing more air). I guess its the soundcard. The main task of the pc is music. So an upgrade is needed!

My audio-desktop setup:
Desktop with on board soundcard: ALC880 Series
Then mini jack to 2x RCA to stereo amp HK 3250.
Then KEF reference 101.3 and REL Quake mk2 se.

My idea is: usb to dac to amp via cinch. I got great cables. But is it worth it (within my budget) to buy a soundcard that has s/pdif and use an external dac that uses s/pdif instead of usb? I dont want to spent (big) bucks. Is s/pdif better then usb, in this pricerange?
Budget is 150 euro's.

Options that I found:
Creative soundblaster x-fi hd
schiit modi 2

Tips and suggestions are more then welcome.
Thanks in advance!!
Koos

Jul 3, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 16
Get the Schiit Modi 2. External DACs can typically provide better SQ than internal sound cards because of the EMI noisy nature of the inside of a computer.

However, the ODAC is a very good DAC. You might be able to find one cheaper than the Schitt Modi 2. Here's one vendor: http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/products-page/dacs/e-dac-24bit-miniature-usb-dac/. There may be someone else closer to you.

Jul 3, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #3 of 16
   I am reading a lot in search for the best option. But there is some information head-fi/google cant profide me, and I would like to ask.
The problem is the poor sound qualitie. When I hooked up a Denon dcd 1460 cd player the music sounds so much better then music out of the desktop (dynamics, placing more air). I guess its the sound card. The main task of the pc is music. So an upgrade is needed!
My audio-desktop setup:
Desktop with on board sound card: ALC880 Series
Then mini jack to 2x RCA to stereo amp HK 3250.
Then KEF reference 101.3 and REL Quake mk2 se.
My idea is: usb to dac to amp via cinch. I got great cables. But is it worth it (within my budget) to buy a sound card that has s/pdif and use an external dac that uses s/pdif instead of usb? I don't want to spent (big) bucks. Is s/pdif better then usb, in this price range?
Budget is 150 euro's.
Options that I found:
Creative soundblaster x-fi hd
schiit modi 2

The Creative Labs Titanium-HD is a nice sound card, nice DAC and op-amps, so great sound.
As your only really using music, the Titanium-HD comes with a lot of features you do not really have a use for.

I really doubt for your use, it will make any difference sound quality wise, between USB or S/PDIF (optical or coaxial).
Hifimediy has a USB DAC for $57, that comes with a Sabre DAC chip.
Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card (used, $50-$65) comes with a nice CS4398 DAC chip.
if you got a Schiit Modi 2 Uber, you could connect both the Denon 1460 (S/PDIF) and the PC (S/PDIF or USB) to it.

Jul 4, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #4 of 16
Thanks purple and cel,

The odac will cost me 140 euros. The Schiit 125. Didn't found 1 close, yet. Is the term odac a brand? Or the system inside? Or..?  These terms are new to me. 
USB/SPDIF will not make any difference, so i dont have to look for another soundcard. Thats good to hear, less to worry about :wink:.
I'd like to have cinch out, not the cracking mini jacks. The cdplayer is in another setup. So in my case i think less is more: 1 USB in 1x stereo cinch out.

Somehow i have less trust in creative as it comes to clear sound, because they dealing a lot with sound effects. Or is this a misconception?

Jul 4, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #5 of 16
If the Schiit Modi is cheaper go with that. The ODAC is a specific DAC design that is produced and sold by some vendors.

Creative has some decent internal sound cards, but internal sound cards are sometimes prone to worse sound because the interior of a computer is a noisy EMI environment. So external DAC are often a better choice.

Jul 4, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #8 of 16
  Thanks purple and cel,

The odac will cost me 140 euros. The Schiit 125. Didn't found 1 close, yet. Is the term odac a brand? Or the system inside? Or..?  These terms are new to me. 
USB/SPDIF will not make any difference, so i dont have to look for another sound card. That's good to hear, less to worry about :wink:.
I'd like to have cinch out, not the cracking mini jacks. The cdplayer is in another setup. So in my case i think less is more: 1 USB in 1x stereo cinch out.

Somehow i have less trust in creative as it comes to clear sound, because they dealing a lot with sound effects. Or is this a misconception?

The ODAC is a USB DAC designed by one person, but several venders build and sell it.
Creative makes some good sounding cards, as good sounding as any other main stream sound card maker, the sound effects on their cards can be turned off, it needed.
Hifimediy makes a USB DAC with the Sabre chip, for $57.

Jul 15, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #10 of 16
For 5 days I have tested the modi now and must say I am impressed. My KEF reference speakers have more air, placement and details now. Its the greatest improvement in sound in my desktop audio I ever made. The funny thing is that the last 8 years I never spend more then I sell for my hifi, so I “got” the modi for free. Fckng awesome:)
Also i ordered a Grado sr80e due to reading the buyers guide on this site. I'm really impressed with the sound quality. Now I do understand the enthusiasm about headphones. The euro's I spend for the speakers and sub is a lot compared to the price of the headphone. The reason I bought good headphones is that not everyone in the house is always happy with the sounds I produce. But now it isnt a punishment to put headphones on, on the contrary!
Thanks again for the help.

Jul 15, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #12 of 16
Glad you like the Modi. :dt880smile:

Most receivers don't have very low headphone output impedance. So a headphone amp could improve the sound of your Grados.

There are some headphone amps that have line outs that are pass through so you can put the headphone amp in between the Modi and your receiver.

You also have the option with the HK 3250 to put a headphone amp on the REC OUT on your receiver. I have the HK 3390, btw. HK makes nice receivers :)

Jul 15, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #13 of 16
I tried to find the headphone out impedance of the hk 3250, but coudnt find it. I'm just curious how this all works. You know a way to find it? Probably not good if you cant find it that fast.
What I read from your comment is hat the modi's output is not suitable for pre out?
I think that there is a big difference in hk 90's and 00's build versions. For starters, just at sight of build quality and the use of print plates.

Jul 15, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #14 of 16
  There is another question I have. Its hypothetical because I will loose the headphone out.
Is it wise/ possible to put a power amp between the schiit modi 2 and the speakers?

To connect a Modi 2 to a powered speaker amplifier and the powered speaker amplifier is connected to un-powered speakers, yes that works

Jul 15, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #15 of 16
I tried to find the headphone out impedance of the hk 3250, but coudnt find it. I'm just curious how this all works. You know a way to find it? Probably not good if you cant find it that fast.
What I read from your comment is hat the modi's output is not suitable for pre out?
I think that there is a big difference in hk 90's and 00's build versions. For starters, just at sight of build quality and the use of print plates.

Most receivers do not provide hardly any information about their headphone amp. Unless you can find someone online who has happened to measure it (extremely unlikely), probably never going to find out.

The Modi is not suitable for a headphone amp. It's just a DAC. You hook it to other devices that then amplify it appropriately for headphones or speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back