USB to a tube amp
Apr 16, 2009 at 1:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

greenarrow

100+ Head-Fier
I'm going into tubes type headamp
L3000.gif
and my choice is a Darkvoice. What I need to know is, can I use my PC usb for connection to the Darkvoice input? Must I use a normal usb cable or any special cable for the connection?

Any inputs appreciated.

Apr 16, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #2 of 8
That isnt going to work. You cant feed a digital USB signal into an analog amp. You would need to use the line out/headphone out with a mini to RCA cable. OR, you could buy a dac (digital to analog converter) and that would be connected with USB/SPDIF (optical or coax) to the computer and then it will output a higher quality analog signal than the audio jacks on your computer can provide for your amp.

Apr 16, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That isnt going to work. You cant feed a digital USB signal into an analog amp. You would need to use the line out/headphone out with a mini to RCA cable. OR, you could buy a dac (digital to analog converter) and that would be connected with USB/SPDIF (optical or coax) to the computer and then it will output a higher quality analog signal than the audio jacks on your computer can provide for your amp.

I have a Compass. Can I use the DAC output from the Compass for the connection?

Apr 16, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #6 of 8
Thanks for all the info guys. Going to buy myself a 336SE.

Apr 17, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #7 of 8
Another option is the Glow Amp One glow amp. It has an integrated DAC with USB input. A lot of people complained about the DAC in the first generation as being thin-sounding, but this is supposed to have been improved in V2.0. I have the first generation, and it was a bit thin, but very clear. Mine is out getting retrofitted, so I haven't heard the DAC with improved circuitry yet. This is a general purpose amp rather than being specifically a headphone amp. It does sound very good in general.

Here's a recent review of the new version of the amp 6moons audio reviews: Glow Audio System [Amp*One, Voice One, Sub One]

- Ed

Apr 17, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by falis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
. I have the first generation, and it was a bit thin, but very clear. Mine is out getting retrofitted, so I haven't heard the DAC with improved circuitry yet.
- Ed

Post a review when you get your upgraded unit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back