USB Strikes Back! Watch out AOIP - USB/Ethernet Chain beats All (at least for me)
Jan 26, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #496 of 573
Ok back to the matters at hand - or the the things that matter.

Finally finished my LT3042/R-Core DIY LPS project last night and gave it a listen:

This runs at 5VDC only - not adjustable.

So I took out the TeraDak DC30W (modded HW caps)/DC iPur/Recovery and ran the DIYLT3042LPS straight into the iPur2>F-1.  This is easy with the 2G split cable.  Just needed a 2.1mmDC Female to USB A Female adapter which I have.  Plug in the power leg of the 2G.

So how did it sound - without burn in time - excellent!  Very, very smooth and musical.  I did notice a lower level of dynamics, or vibrancy.  This uber vibrancy is one of the great traits of the
'Ultra' USB chain.  So I tried adding the DC iPur - that sounded worse.  I will burn in this unit for 100 hrs and give it another listen.

On returning the DC30W/DC iPur/Recovery -  and the vibrancy and jump returned - but with no noticeable loss in  warmth or musicality.  Tried the DC30W without the DC iPur and it was barely noticeable.  Just a hair better with it in.

Now the second experiment last night was using this DIY LT3042 LPS to power the PC PNY CS2211 SSD running the OS.  This cable finally arrived SATA power to USB:

$10 https://www.moddiy.com/products/USB-to-2.5-SSD-5%252dPin-SATA-Power-Adapter-Cable-%2820cm%29.html

So now running the SSD with the OS from the LT3042 LPS - I noticed a bit better SQ.  Just a bit more air and depth to the sound stage.  Well worth the money.
So I tried then using the second free DC power port on the TeraDak X1/X2 (moded with HW caps)I was using to feed the LEX.  The sound remained the same - with that slight improvement.  Note the DC power port is adjustable - so I set it to 5VDC which the SSD needs.

So I don't think an extra LPS is needed for this duty - the X1 can fill both needs.

Cheers

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #498 of 573
agreed. i would like to make an observation though. it seems you really like to tweak/diy. that is fine. i just purchase off the shelf components and use them a sintended. you and i are probably like oil and water. i have a completely methodology than you. there is nothing wrong with what you do if it suits you. we just have different approaches. there is no reason to have a hate fest over it. i have apologized to you like 10 times already. i honestly did not mean to upset you or belittle your work/findings. the particular subject at hand was just not for me. that's all. you do not need to be offended because someone did not agree with you. that is silly. you have many loyal followers. i honestly did not intend to upset yo but if i did first again my apologies and secondly do not take it personally. it is not  abig deal. perhaps it is to you but it really is not. just forget me or use the ignore feature if you wish. i really did not mean to poop on your parade. i am very sorry you feel that way and take a difference of opinion as a personal attack. i am done in this thread so continue on.

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #499 of 573
For anyone who wants the details on my  LT3042 LPS - here are the components and details:
This should only be attempted by professionals and experienced DIYer's - caution lethal voltages involved!

LT3042 board assembled.  LT3042 5VDC 0.8uv noise before the NPN transistor.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/142115498378?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
$54 with shipping to US.

Very nice totl copper shielded 9V R-Core transformer.  I had tried a 12V and it was to much voltage - and shut down after 20 minutes.  The original LT3042 ad stated 6-12V input  - but has since been revised to 6-9V input.  Ran all last night with the 9V perfectly. 

I had communication with the LT 3042 Seller who was very helpful.  There are two windings so you could power two separate boards.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222210166843?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
$44

This transformer using famous Japanese Nippon steel coiled silicon steel sheet and oxygen-free copper enamel wire,reliable performance,

I used the case from another Breeze LPS that I didn't need.  You can buy a case or make one.  Or use something like this if you want a power switch and LED Voltage display (which matched my Klein MM almost perfectly).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HiFi-30VA-LPS-DC-9V-3A-Linear-Power-Supply-psu-option-12V-15V-18V-24V-for-AMP/262501308901?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D38530%26meid%3D438ba411a5b8429c9ede18bb1748ea7f%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D11%26sd%3D161870356771

Jan 26, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #501 of 573
Rob, I think It would be intresting to plug an SSD external drive on your startech to compare with your flash drive and SCL card.
I have read somewhere that SSD are suposed to have better memory chips and better controllers.

Jan 26, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #502 of 573
 Yes the reports are coming with rave reviews.  Good to ditch the included SMPS (and save $20) and use a low cost LPS as feeder.  Keeps the AC mains cleaner

Hey RB. Thanks... yeah, - Just using a ($130) TeraDak LPS with the microRendu produced pretty great sound for me. Adding in the LPS-1 brought more detail & more bass, - but at the cost of midrange cohesiveness. Adding in the Sonore/Cardas USB cable to the F-1 and then again the Sonore/Cardas 2.1 mm power cable really kept the detail & bass, but brought the midrange back into balance and now the mix is "right" and cohesive: and IMO, just A-Mazing.

FWIW, - and in my experience, with my system, - the power cable from the LPS-1 was essential. I do not like using the stereotypical & cliche term of "highly resolving," low-level detail, system: but in my case, - the LPS-1 without the power cable was not worth it.

I in no way regret the Teradak LPS as it was needed and in use a while before the LPS-1 was available, - it is a very good LPS, - and much better than using a noisy SMPS.

So, SOME people may find that the "real" price of the LPS-1 might not be $410 (shipped), but more like $950 if you factor in the 2 Sonore/Cardas cables, & a reasonably priced LPS as feeder.
(There are a bunch of very good to great $400 LPSs out in the world right now, so I suggest that folks think about, & factor in potential added-on costs).

In my case, the "upgrade" from my Mac Mini that died was dramatic as far as SQ. But going microRendu/F-1/LPS-1 with TeraDak feeder was NOT cheaper than a MacMini, (including the required playback software, hardware mods/optimizations and souped up RAM, etc).

I did not know about the StarTech/LanRover solution when my MacMini died, - or perhaps I would've chosen that path....

As it stands, (once I recover financially), it is possible to use the StarTech solution with my current setup. I think that is just one of the benefits of it.

Cheers,

Jan 26, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #503 of 573
OK a  couple of key points:

Very good audio reproduction is the re-creation of the actual live music.  As the late Harry Pearson called 'The Absolute Sound'.  In fact, this legendary man founded a journal by that same name - that was originally subscriber paid - with NO advertising.

Harry's view was that great audio reproduction would move closer to this absolute re-creation - whether analog or digital.  In fact, as the issues with both were addressed they would converge on the absolute.   And that has been my experience.  There is only ONE absolute and that is the sound of live music.  In my 30+yrs experience this USB/Ethernet digital chain comes the closest by far to this absolute.  Analog or digital.

Now to the Ultra USB/Ethernet chain -

There is only one Startech, ICRON and LanRover that has the proper chip set to achieve what I'm writing about.  But ICRON has produced this in two schemes - one programmed in a FPGA Xilinx SPARTAN 6 and the other in a privately contracted ASIC chip.

I have only heard the SPARTAN  version - the new ICRON Ranger and PS Audio LanRover are made with the ASIC design.  There are many posts of some issues with the ASIC model.

Next - a UTP CAT6 or CAT6a cable only should be used between the two Startech devices (LEX and REX).  Why  - this cable is unshielded and maintains Ethernet's inherent galvanic isolation of the ground from the PC's VBUS.  The use of a CAT5 STP, or CAT6 STP, CAT7, or CAT8 cable is shielded - so unless the shield is disconnected at one end of the cable - will defeat the GI of this USB/Ethernet chain.  Now you can use another means of GI like FMC or GISO and use a shielded cable  - but that seems redundant and adds to the cost.  I tried a FMC connection in the middle of the Startech and it had no positive effect, and in fact needed to have it's own LPS's powering it to not be detrimental to the SQ.

Jan 26, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #504 of 573
  Rob, I think It would be intresting to plug an SSD external drive on your startech to compare with your flash drive and SCL card.
I have read somewhere that SSD are suposed to have better memory chips and better controllers.

That is a good point and I have thought of that - at least until the SLC vs USB stick faceoff.

I posted a few dozen pages ago very detailed information on SSD drives, and the memory and memory allocation algorithms (wear evening, etc..) on the newer versions.  Some do have pSLC (pseudo SLC) caches - like my two PNY's.  But pSLC is different then SLC - better then MLC or TLC.  http://www.tomsitpro.com/articles/flash-data-center-advantages,2-744-2.html

Now the other issue is the need for a SATA to USB adapter - these have their own clocks and circuits.  So may be counter productive.  Certainly more expensive.

What I will do tonight is run some of the same music files from the now ext LPS powered PNY CS2211 SSD vs the SLC mSD - to see if there is a SQ difference.  I'm hoping not!  That would be huge in terms of ease of use, cost and convenience.

Info on the PNY CS2211 SSD:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10234/the-pny-cs1311-and-cs2211-ssd-review-mlc-vs-tlc-at-15nm

Jan 26, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #505 of 573
next step is to power your CPU and RAM with clean LPS ...
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #506 of 573

Hey RB. Thanks... yeah, - Just using a ($130) TeraDak LPS with the microRendu produced pretty great sound for me. Adding in the LPS-1 brought more detail & more bass, - but at the cost of midrange cohesiveness. Adding in the Sonore/Cardas USB cable to the F-1 and then again the Sonore/Cardas 2.1 mm power cable really kept the detail & bass, but brought the midrange back into balance and now the mix is "right" and cohesive: and IMO, just A-Mazing.

FWIW, - and in my experience, with my system, - the power cable from the LPS-1 was essential. I do not like using the stereotypical & cliche term of "highly resolving," low-level detail, system: but in my case, - the LPS-1 without the power cable was not worth it.

I in no way regret the Teradak LPS as it was needed and in use a while before the LPS-1 was available, - it is a very good LPS, - and much better than using a noisy SMPS.

So, SOME people may find that the "real" price of the LPS-1 might not be $410 (shipped), but more like $950 if you factor in the 2 Sonore/Cardas cables, & a reasonably priced LPS as feeder.
(There are a bunch of very good to great $400 LPSs out in the world right now, so I suggest that folks think about, & factor in potential added-on costs).

In my case, the "upgrade" from my Mac Mini that died was dramatic as far as SQ. But going microRendu/F-1/LPS-1 with TeraDak feeder was NOT cheaper than a MacMini, (including the required playback software, hardware mods/optimizations and souped up RAM, etc).

I did not know about the StarTech/LanRover solution when my MacMini died, - or perhaps I would've chosen that path....

As it stands, (once I recover financially), it is possible to use the StarTech solution with my current setup. I think that is just one of the benefits of it.

Cheers,

Good info!  Yes cables DO matter (oh no here it comes from the objectivist bleachers...LOL!).  In my chain a significant step up from the AS Silver Statement, to the Audience AU24Se to the SR Element Copper/Galileo.  Wish it weren't so.  I try and buy this stuff used and that limits the upfront cost and the depreciation on the sell side.

The SR Element Audiogon seller was a dealer and included the new UEF tuning modules - at a ridiculous price.  Not sure on the Sonore USB cable.  The $140 price for the DC cable is a bit rich.  I have had very good luck with this Teddy Pardo silver DC cable and it's only $26.
https://www.teddypardo.com/cables/misc-cables.html

On the LPS front I'm hoping that the LT3042 after a few hundred hours can replace the TeraDak and Recovery. 

Well good news - I'm getting a LPS-1 as a loaner - so we will see...
beerchug.gif

Jan 26, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #508 of 573
 Well good news - I'm getting a LPS-1 as a loaner

Awesome....

You've done so much for me, (all of us), - that i wish that i could've sent you mine to try. As far as the LPS-1 power cable, - I found out about the Teddy Pardo cable too late, as well as this $23 one on Ebay. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272136453268?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Again.. thanks for all you have done here with your research and experiences. You are responsible for helping me get a dramatic increase in SQ and hence listening pleasure from my system.

Cheers,

Jan 26, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #509 of 573
  Awesome....

You've done so much for me, (all of us), - that i wish that i could've sent you mine to try. As far as the LPS-1 power cable, - I found out about the Teddy Pardo cable too late, as well as this $23 one on Ebay. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272136453268?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Again.. thanks for all you have done here with your research and experiences. You are responsible for helping me get a dramatic increase in SQ and hence listening pleasure from my system.

Cheers,

Thanks for the kind words - and your contributions here.  That's a great link I will get one once they're back in stock.  I have to check with TP to see if they'll make a 2.1mm to 2.1mm version.  I'm sure they would.

Yes the SQ benefits are worth the efforts - the payoff each and every evening.
beerchug.gif

Jan 26, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #510 of 573
  OK a  couple of key points:

Very good audio reproduction is the re-creation of the actual live music.  As the late Harry Pearson called 'The Absolute Sound'.  In fact, this legendary man founded a journal by that same name - that was originally subscriber paid - with NO advertising.

Harry's view was that great audio reproduction would move closer to this absolute re-creation - whether analog or digital.  In fact, as the issues with both were addressed they would converge on the absolute.   And that has been my experience.  There is only ONE absolute and that is the sound of live music.  In my 30+yrs experience this USB/Ethernet digital chain comes the closest by far to this absolute.  Analog or digital.

Now to the Ultra USB/Ethernet chain -

There is only one Startech, ICRON and LanRover that has the proper chip set to achieve what I'm writing about.  But ICRON has produced this in two schemes - one programmed in a FPGA Xilinx SPARTAN 6 and the other in a privately contracted ASIC chip.

I have only heard the SPARTAN  version - the new ICRON Ranger and PS Audio LanRover are made with the ASIC design.  There are many posts of some issues with the ASIC model.

Next - a UTP CAT6 or CAT6a cable only should be used between the two Startech devices (LEX and REX).  Why  - this cable is unshielded and maintains Ethernet's inherent galvanic isolation of the ground from the PC's VBUS.  The use of a CAT5 STP, or CAT6 STP, CAT7, or CAT8 cable is shielded - so unless the shield is disconnected at one end of the cable - will defeat the GI of this USB/Ethernet chain.  Now you can use another means of GI like FMC or GISO and use a shielded cable  - but that seems redundant and adds to the cost.  I tried a FMC connection in the middle of the Startech and it had no positive effect, and in fact needed to have it's own LPS's powering it to not be detrimental to the SQ.

Hi Rb,
thanks for the network cable recommendation, i saw you shared this information already some time ago, so i think my "Audioquest Cinnamon" isnt the best choice between the startechs since it is shielded i think, i found one UTP cable that i can easily order in Germany, do you think this could work?...its called
MeiCord Opal​

https://www.akikoaudio.com/en/other-brands/meicord/147-2013-07-05-12-11-53

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back