USB Strikes Back! Watch out AOIP - USB/Ethernet Chain beats All (at least for me)
Jan 24, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #442 of 573
Received my 4GB Panasonic SLC microSd card yesterday from Digikey.

Cold out of the insanely large box - vs the PNY 256GB - again a very noticeable improvement.  Maybe even better then the Apacer 256MB SLC.  Running in now for 100 hrs to then give another comparison listen.

So far greater clarity and dynamics - incremental - but easily heard. 

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/panasonic-electronic-components/RP-SMSC04DA1/P17013-ND/5119420

Jan 24, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #445 of 573

Yes unfortunately they are somewhat expensive

I have the finger on the trigger ...

Can you tell me the difference between

Ultra USB chain (details to long to list)                                       370

AND

Singxer F-1 DC30W/Cerious/Recovery/DCiPur/ iPur2/Startech GB LAN Iso USB         170

Is the startech GB LAN Iso USB another device ? (not the USB2G4LEXT2)

Jan 24, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #446 of 573

How do you plan to use this 4Gb card ?
Do you have to copy the tracks you want to listen each time by hand ?

Well I'm hoping to work out a buffering scheme.

But in the meantime - I load the 8 albums I may listen to over the next few days.  It only takes a few minutes.  Then create a Foobar playlist for them - that is really easy - just select 'Add Folder' select the SLC drive (it mounts as a separate Windows drive letter). Click OK and all the tracks on the SLC load by album - cover art as well.

Then just select the album to listen to from there.

Of course if I change my mind and don't feel like spending the extra effort to re-load something else - I just flip over to my PNY USB directed playlists.  I have one for Rock, Alt, Emo, Vocals, Jazz, etc...That takes a few seconds.

It's not a dramatic SQ difference - so like playing music in background not needed - but for critical listening it's a nice option to have.  And the cost was minimal.

Anybody who gets the one port LanRover vs the four port Startech/ICRON is really missing out on this great opportunty (as well as spending more money).

Jan 24, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #447 of 573
  I have the finger on the trigger ...

Can you tell me the difference between

Ultra USB chain (details to long to list)                                       370

AND

Singxer F-1 DC30W/Cerious/Recovery/DCiPur/ iPur2/Startech GB LAN Iso USB         170

Is the startech GB LAN Iso USB another device ? (not the USB2G4LEXT2)

Yes - the keys differences are #1 low noise LPS's on the REX and LEX, modded JB's on the PC and REX, removal of the Curious USB cable link between the Recovery and iPur2, and the use of PNY USB sticks for music playback.  On the REX first the LT1083 LPS then the MEIYAN with a silver Teddy Pardo DC cable.  Note the change from the expensive Cerious Tech Graphene Extreme PC on the TeraDak DC-30W feeding the Recovery - to a generic Silver/Nobium Epitome PC.  Sold the CT GE (wish I had kept it).  Swapped out a Forza Audio split copper between the PC and LEX for another LH Labs 2G.

Also on music server SSD for OS, and Fidelizer Pro optimizer.

The biggest changes occurred with the LPS on the REX, the PNY USB music playback, and Fidelizer Pro (Purist).

I should note that all these changes were done incrementally over many months of trial and change.  Keeping what advanced the SQ - deleting what didn't.  Trying as best as I could to eliminate unnecessary stuff and trying to min cost.

PS - I would say the use of the 4GB SLC for music file playback would add another 20-30 points to the Ultra Chain rating.

Jan 24, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #448 of 573
Rob, have you tried loading tracks straight into memory with plugins like this?

http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_ramdisk

I'm not entirely sure if playing from RAM or playing from an USB attached to the StarTech would make a different from the PC perspective. In both case the playback software needs the data in memory for processing prio sending to the DAC.

Jan 24, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #449 of 573
I should note the nearly 100 jump from the pretty extreme AOIP chain to the 'Ultra USB' Chain - is pretty dramatic.  This is partly due to more critical listening over many months (and much attempted tweaking) to the AOIP chain.  At first the gain in detail, and bass depth was really fun.  But as time went on (for months) I found myself losing interest in the music.  There was a sterile or clinical quality to the sound.  I am a complete 'tone' head.  Tone comes first for me.  It has to be natural and rich - harmonic textures easily discernible.  But neutral as well - not overly euphonic or 'wooly', nor thinnish airy.  A tough task for any system.

I even had the Startech listed for sale in the classifieds, initially.  But decided to keep it in my office system.  Boy am I glad I did!

Meantime - someone PM'd me asking if I had tried using a USB stick for music file playback in one of the open USB ports on the REX.  Never even occurred to me to try that.  Took an old 4GB USB stick I had lying around and gave it a go - nice, very nice!

So when I noticed this boredom factor with AOIP - I thought hard about what was missing?  Took the Startech 'Uber' chain (now with the USB stick for playback) back down to the main listening room...and I was pleased to hear that tonal 'rightness' return. But now with greater detail and bass depth then before, but not quite to the level of the best of AOIP.  But track after track the emotional connection returned.  I also noticed more dynamic slam then before (one thing the PNY USB sticks helped with) - more realism and excitement.

I then worked on trying to get the detail and bass of the AOIP without sacrificing the tonal beauty of the Uber USB chain. That was not only achieved - but exceeded by a large measure - and with even greater tonal density then before with the Uber USB chain.

Eureka!  So I started this thread - to not only continue where the XU208/F-1 thread ended - but to blase further this hybrid USB/Ethernet trail.

I can not state enough what a sea change this has been in  SQ and the listening experience.  Things that just passby me by on recordings I had heard thousands of times were revealed.  Not just individual details (more were revealed) but a new experiencing of the entire production - more a whole cloth experience.  Like I have said it has changed the way I listen to and appreciate music - now after 30+yrs - that truly is amazing to me.  It was a shock at first, now many weeks later it's become the norm, but no less exciting.

Now extending further with the SLC card.

Jan 24, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #450 of 573
  Rob, have you tried loading tracks straight into memory with plugins like this?

http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_ramdisk

I'm not entirely sure if playing from RAM or playing from an USB attached to the StarTech would make a different from the PC perspective. In both case the playback software needs the data in memory for processing prio sending to the DAC.

Yes - that was an old foobar plugin - now obsolete with the newer version.

I suggest anyone who hasn't try the free Fidelizer and read their instructions for optimizing Foobar:

http://www.fidelizer-audio.com

Now some players like Bug Head Emperor/Infinity Blade - do have this functionality (that is to buffer from a SDcard) - but I'm not changing my music player. I love Foobar and I feel it fits my needs.
http://jplay.eu/forum/index.php?/topic/1553-infinity-blade-hq-bug-head-emperor-worth-trying/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back