USB Strikes Back! Watch out AOIP - USB/Ethernet Chain beats All (at least for me)
Jan 20, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #376 of 573
  Rob do these power supplies look decent to you?

1) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221873423925

2) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2016NEW-S130-Ultra-Low-Noise-DC-Linear-Power-supply-2-way-LPS-12V-12V-3-5A-L161-/121858195663

I´ve asked for opinions in the Geek Pulse thread and was recommended the iFI iPower but I´ve read mixed reviews about it and it seems too good to be true, it´s a shame I can´t go down the DIY road since I´d probably end up in intensive care 
bigsmile_face.gif

Thanks again for your help.

The iPower is a switching power supply and pollutes the AC line with high levels of noise.  I had a 5VDC and a 9VDC and sold them both.  They are better then a normal SMPS.

Better to go with a cheap linear power supply and add a DC iPur at the DC output to filter down the remaining noise.

The first link is a Discrete regulation scheme - but not much details on the circuit or the noise levels.

The second is similar to the MEIYAN but with a dual output - maybe not as good of an R-core.  No copper shielding.

Why don't we move this discussion over to my linear power supply thread.  We have moved far off topic
http://www.head-fi.org/t/822160/audio-power-supplies-part3-smps-lps-supercap-battery-diy-route-new-devices-opens-up-new-options

The

Jan 20, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #377 of 573
I just placed my order for the Icron Ranger 2304GE-LAN. It is cheaper and I think all new stocks of the Startech will use ASIC anyway. The Icron says USB3 support so there is also chance the Icron has later firmwire?

My objective is more to be able to use cheap external USB sticks to store my music files. I upgraded the my notebook with 2TB internal HDD 6 months ago and it is almost full again with music and photo RAW files. I do have a HP Home server runnning Windows Server 2012R2, but I feel lazy switching on 2 computers to do quick music listening.

Currently I am running a simple Windows  10 / J. River Media Player 22 -> Belkin Gold USB cabke -> Intona -> Cheap short 20cm Customed made USB cable -> audio-gd Ref 5.32 with Amanero. No external LPS or Fidelizer running on computer.

@rb2013
1. Shall I experience sound improvement with the Icron if I just use the stock Icron SMPS?
2. Have you tried combining the 3 USB sticks into a single Storage Space with Windows 10?

Jan 21, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #378 of 573
I just placed my order for the Icron Ranger 2304GE-LAN. It is cheaper and I think all new stocks of the Startech will use ASIC anyway. The Icron says USB3 support so there is also chance the Icron has later firmwire?

My objective is more to be able to use cheap external USB sticks to store my music files. I upgraded the my notebook with 2TB internal HDD 6 months ago and it is almost full again with music and photo RAW files. I do have a HP Home server runnning Windows Server 2012R2, but I feel lazy switching on 2 computers to do quick music listening.

Currently I am running a simple Windows  10 / J. River Media Player 22 -> Belkin Gold USB cabke -> Intona -> Cheap short 20cm Customed made USB cable -> audio-gd Ref 5.32 with Amanero. No external LPS or Fidelizer running on computer.

@rb2013

1. Shall I experience sound improvement with the Icron if I just use the stock Icron SMPS?
2. Have you tried combining the 3 USB sticks into a single Storage Space with Windows 10?
Well your experience will be interesting. I assume that the small supply of SPARTAN 6 FPGA Startechs would soon sell out, the the ASIC version would be the only option. Not saying it sounds worse or better, only a direct comparison could give insight into that. When you get the ICRON Ranger could you post the SMPS voltages, curious to see if those changed.

On your questions, #1 well maybe, now you may no longer need the Intona. A comparison of the two would be interesting. Replacing the stock SMPS with decent LPS's is, of course, going to step up the SQ in a very significant way.

#2 I haven't but posted several pages back on how they could be combined into one RAID drive.

Jan 21, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #379 of 573
Well your experience will be interesting. I assume that the small supply of SPARTAN 6 FPGA Startechs would soon sell out, the the ASIC version would be the only option. Not saying it sounds worse or better, only a direct comparison could give insight into that. When you get the ICRON Ranger could you post the SMPS voltages, curious to see if those changed.

On your questions, #1 well maybe, now you may no longer need the Intona. A comparison of the two would be interesting. Replacing the stock SMPS with decent LPS's is, of course, going to step up the SQ in a very significant way.

#2 I haven't but posted several pages back on how they could be combined into one RAID drive.

My Startech does not have the FPGA. I'm very impressed with the SQ improvement with just the SMPS that it came with. I'll get a Meiyan at some point.

If anything I would expect the ASIC to sound better because it will do less processing to achieve the same result, so it would probably dump less noise back into the power supply.

Jan 21, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #380 of 573
  My Startech does not have the FPGA. I'm very impressed with the SQ improvement with just the SMPS that it came with. I'll get a Meiyan at some point.

If anything I would expect the ASIC to sound better because it will do less processing to achieve the same result, so it would probably dump less noise back into the power supply.

Thanks a lot for sharing this, somestranger26!  If so, then perhaps the Icron will be the better value option since they both use ASIC.

I am still waiting for the LPS to arrive...  but the Icron with SMPS is still doing a great job in the meantime.

Jan 22, 2017 at 3:35 AM Post #381 of 573
Hi !

Did you try one of these fo power your USB flash drives ?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ADUM4160-USB-Isolator-Board-ADI-USB-Port-Isolator-Protection/32254275117.html?spm=2114.40010308.4.49.UyajDT

My Singxer F1 becomes better every day ... The best sound I ever got.

Jan 22, 2017 at 5:14 AM Post #382 of 573
Hello.

Mine gave it to me very recently and if it has the Spartan model
Interestingly, the Local and Remote electronic circuit boards look identical. Components change. The ones of the power supply and of the USB connections are obviated.

I also appreciate an impressive improvement only with the original source. I hope to feed the local and the remote soon to compare results.

Arriving at this point and with the improvement, that supposes this form to isolate the communication DAC and Pc, it is presumed that the audio manufacturers in general and in particular the DACs, should use to depart from now.
It does not seem right to me that after spending a large amount of money on a DAC, it can not be properly used for this cause.

I ask myself several questions.The use of a PC, is very widespread when it comes to listening to music ¿You know some, to what extent, this problem is widespread among manufacturers of for example DAC's. In other words ¿Is this insulation system beneficial to all installations, only some DACs?
¿Do you know any DAC, which has galvanic isolation in this way?

Jan 22, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #383 of 573
Is there any SQ differene using other StarTech devices such as:

https://www.startech.com/eu/Cards-Adapters/USB-2/USB-Extenders/1-Port-USB-2-over-Cat5-Cat6-Ethernet-Extender-up-to-330ft-100m~USB2001EXT2
or
https://www.startech.com/eu/Cards-Adapters/USB-2/USB-Extenders/~USB2001EXTV

Are these utilizing the same FPGA/ASIC chipsets?

Jan 22, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #384 of 573

Nice!  I hope you are right - maybe some one will send me their ASIC version for comparison. Good feedback - of course the SQ will improve with 100-200 hrs run time.

Now the ASIC is cheaper to make and has a lower price.  I would note that Chord uses the Xilinx SPARTAN 6 FPGA in their widley acclaimed totl DACs like the DAVE and Hugo TT.  If a ASIC could sound better and be cheaper to produce - I imagine they would be using one.
Spartan 6 FPGA
The Hugo TT retains the same high-performance Spartan 6 FPGA that enabled Hugo to redefine the DAC genre in 2014. It has the same specification and measured performance as its mobile sibling, a device that “broke all records” for dynamic range in leading UK hi-fi magazine, Hi-Fi World, in the summer of 2014.
It uses our bespoke FPGA DAC technology to deliver class-leading sound quality from your music collection, however it is stored.
At its heart lies a new version of the advanced Spartan 6 Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) with 1,000x the processing power of the traditional mass-produced chip DAC. DAVE’s FPGA is loaded with over a million lines of code to confront complex timing issues head-on, with speed and precision.
The FPGA’s extraordinary capability enables a number of key sonic benefits, including significantly improved timing and the best noise-shaper performance of any known DAC. DAVE’s technology delivers music with unmatched reality and musicality, with an unrivalled timing response. The device’s lossless digital volume control outputs the signal direct to your power amplifier for the purest experience.

Here is a photo of the SPARTAN 6 FPGA version of the Startech for visual comparison:

Jan 22, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #385 of 573
Is there any SQ differene using other StarTech devices such as:

https://www.startech.com/eu/Cards-Adapters/USB-2/USB-Extenders/1-Port-USB-2-over-Cat5-Cat6-Ethernet-Extender-up-to-330ft-100m~USB2001EXT2
or
https://www.startech.com/eu/Cards-Adapters/USB-2/USB-Extenders/~USB2001EXTV

Are these utilizing the same FPGA/ASIC chipsets?

No those are not the ones.  Must say three things!
1) GB LAN certified
2) Compatible with isosyrchron audio (even though we are using it with async audio)
3) have four USB ports.

Be careful as their are many Startech and ICRON units available - but one one version (whether it be FPGA or ASIC processors) that is the right one.

Jan 22, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #386 of 573
  Hello.

Mine gave it to me very recently and if it has the Spartan model
Interestingly, the Local and Remote electronic circuit boards look identical. Components change. The ones of the power supply and of the USB connections are obviated.

I also appreciate an impressive improvement only with the original source. I hope to feed the local and the remote soon to compare results.

Arriving at this point and with the improvement, that supposes this form to isolate the communication DAC and Pc, it is presumed that the audio manufacturers in general and in particular the DACs, should use to depart from now.
It does not seem right to me that after spending a large amount of money on a DAC, it can not be properly used for this cause.

I ask myself several questions.The use of a PC, is very widespread when it comes to listening to music ¿You know some, to what extent, this problem is widespread among manufacturers of for example DAC's. In other words ¿Is this insulation system beneficial to all installations, only some DACs?
¿Do you know any DAC, which has galvanic isolation in this way?

It is unlikely you will ever see this technology built into a DAC.  Space issues, power supply issues.

But no reason you could see a one box F-1/iPur2/Recover/Startech - maybe I should make one.  Put in a fancy case and sell for thousands
wink_face.gif

Jan 22, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #387 of 573
Just checked, glad to say that I have the SPARTAN-6 chip ....until someone finds out the ASIC is better.

I got my replacement F1 a few days ago, it IS a lot better than the DU-U8. With the F1 in place the differences between the NAS and the StarTech have narrowed even further. I had a couple of friends over, one of whom, Roger, works in pro-Audio and his son who is now in the third year of his audio engineering degree (just applying to join the BBC), their view was that the Spartan had a tad more reverb, but perhaps a bit more edge as well.

Roger was flabergasted that the same file could sound different simply because one copy was on the NAS and another on USB. His son said that it was hard to argue with your own ears.

My replacement 24V LPSU is en route.

The Teradak X1/X2 appears to have gone out of production, so I'll need to ID another LPSU to power the other StarTech box.

Jan 22, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #388 of 573
  Just checked, glad to say that I have the SPARTAN-6 chip ....until someone finds out the ASIC is better.

I got my replacement F1 a few days ago, it IS a lot better than the DU-U8. With the F1 in place the differences between the NAS and the StarTech have narrowed even further. I had a couple of friends over, one of whom, Roger, works in pro-Audio and his son who is now in the third year of his audio engineering degree (just applying to join the BBC), their view was that the Spartan had a tad more reverb, but perhaps a bit more edge as well.

Roger was flabergasted that the same file could sound different simply because one copy was on the NAS and another on USB. His son said that it was hard to argue with your own ears.

My replacement 24V LPSU is en route.

The Teradak X1/X2 appears to have gone out of production, so I'll need to ID another LPSU to power the other StarTech box.

Good reports coming so far on both versions.  Too bad on the TeraDak X1/X2 - it was a great little LPS one of the only low cost with two DC outputs.

I give the Engineers you had listen credit - at least they were open to a 'sited listening comparison'

Jan 22, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #390 of 573
No those are not the ones.  Must say three things!
1) GB LAN certified
2) Compatible with isosyrchron audio (even though we are using it with async audio)
3) have four USB ports.

Be careful as their are many Startech and ICRON units available - but one one version (whether it be FPGA or ASIC processors) that is the right one.

Thanks Rob! So basically "only" model USB2G4LEXT2 would be good here from the StarTech ones like this:

https://www.ballicom.co.uk/usb2g4lext2-startech-com-4-port-usb-2-0-over-lan-.p1009343.html

Is it also neccessary to put one USB storage into all 4 ports?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back