USB Strikes Back! Watch out AOIP - USB/Ethernet Chain beats All (at least for me)
Jan 18, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #346 of 573
Some tips for getting the best SQ out of the F-1 and the Startech

Run at least 6-8 hours before listening - this allows plenty of time for the clocks to stablize and the PS to reach optimal temperature.

I run mine 24/7

On another note  - I did the final shootout on the SLC MicroSD Card vs the SLC USB - and...the SLC microSD came out the winner.

I used this MicroSD to USB adapter for the conversion:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EHIOS0S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jan 18, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #347 of 573

That's good to hear - I hope they improved the quality of the power switch (switches from ext DC and USB) - mine failed on one of the Pro3a I had.

Also it would be nice if they would supply the pins for the i2s - like Singxer does.

Hi,
I had the Pro3A too.
When I contacted DIYINHK regarding the wpoer : they advised to power it thru the USB socket, because admit that the interface could become hot when powered thru the 5V socket.
They did not mention that point when I contacted them regarding the Pro3z... maybe they fixed that issue, I don't know.

Regarding the Crystek clock on the F-1, I find them "strange". 
Strange because they seem to be smaller than the crystek I bought for my streamer.
I bought these ones : http://www.mouser.fr/search/ProductDetail.aspx?Crystek-Corporation%2fCCHD-957-25-24576%2f&qs=0ahj2ebvT29UgjH2%252b34MOQ%3d%3d
Does Singxer really use these Crystek or a low profile version ?!?

Rgds

Jan 19, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #348 of 573
  Some tips for getting the best SQ out of the F-1 and the Startech

Run at least 6-8 hours before listening - this allows plenty of time for the clocks to stablize and the PS to reach optimal temperature.

I run mine 24/7

So no problem in running 24/7 both iPurifier2 and Singxer even if I power off DAC/amp? I mean they'll be connected to electicity but won't play a thing as the DAC is off... Now that I think of it even iFi audio admitted on the iPurifier2 thread that the clocks need time to be ready/warm and stabilized

Jan 19, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #349 of 573
  Hi,
I had the Pro3A too.
When I contacted DIYINHK regarding the wpoer : they advised to power it thru the USB socket, because admit that the interface could become hot when powered thru the 5V socket.
They did not mention that point when I contacted them regarding the Pro3z... maybe they fixed that issue, I don't know.

Regarding the Crystek clock on the F-1, I find them "strange". 
Strange because they seem to be smaller than the crystek I bought for my streamer.
I bought these ones : http://www.mouser.fr/search/ProductDetail.aspx?Crystek-Corporation%2fCCHD-957-25-24576%2f&qs=0ahj2ebvT29UgjH2%252b34MOQ%3d%3d
Does Singxer really use these Crystek or a low profile version ?!?

Rgds

Yes the F-1 uses the CCHD-575 the ones you have are the CCHD-957.  Now the 575 the F-1 uses is a custom design with the 'Tri-State' feature - allowing the clock not being use to be turned off.  This lowers noise on the clocks PS circuit.

The phase noise on the 575 is better then the 957.

For example on the 22.5792Mhz version

10Hz    575= -100dB     975= -97dB
100Hz  575= -130dB     975= -126dB
1Khz     575= -151dB     975= -149dB
10Khz   575= -162.7dB  975= -161.8

These may seem like small differences - but remember decibels are a power factor  - so every -3dB is roughly a halving of the noise levels.

http://www.crystek.com/crystal/spec-sheets/clock/CCHD-575.pdf
http://www.crystek.com/crystal/spec-sheets/clock/cchd-957.pdf

Jan 19, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #350 of 573

So no problem in running 24/7 both iPurifier2 and Singxer even if I power off DAC/amp? I mean they'll be connected to electicity but won't play a thing as the DAC is off... Now that I think of it even iFi audio admitted on the iPurifier2 thread that the clocks need time to be ready/warm and stabilized

Yes no problem.  Since I run Class 'A' amps I keep those running 24/7 as well.  Same for my tube DAC.  They take a day or so to thermal stabilize - and sound a bit 'hard' cold.  But once fully warmed up - musical as all get out.

Jan 19, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #351 of 573
update:

just bought singxer su-1 . and sandisk ultra flair  usb 3.0 128 gd.

for su-1 , i am using aes because i don't have hdmi, will purchase blue jean cable .
for spring dac , i had modded aes with audionote transformer. 

tried to install linux voyage mpd  at startech usb but fail. 

now, plug this sandisk into startech for music storage. but seem sq  stored at startech is much much better than at nas. more clean, tighter. less noisy. 

chinese new year is coming , meiyan seller is located in china, i think i will receive meiyan power after mid feb till they start working again. 

Jan 19, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #352 of 573
  update:

just bought singxer su-1 . and sandisk ultra flair  usb 3.0 128 gd.

for su-1 , i am using aes because i don't have hdmi, will purchase blue jean cable .
for spring dac , i had modded aes with audionote transformer. 

tried to install linux voyage mpd  at startech usb but fail. 

now, plug this sandisk into startech for music storage. but seem sq  stored at startech is much much better than at nas. more clean, tighter. less noisy. 

chinese new year is coming , meiyan seller is located in china, i think i will receive meiyan power after mid feb till they start working again. 

I always thought that running the OS from there would be tricky. 

Good report on the Sandisk USB for music file playback.  First comparison to a NAS (are you using a SSD or HDD on the NAS?)  - the USB playback should improve with 100hrs+ of run time.  And certainly will after getting the MEIYAN LPS to power the REX.

The Chinese New Years holiday maybe why my 9V Rcore is delayed.

Cheers!

Jan 19, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #353 of 573
Thinking about my comparison of the SLC USB vs SLC microSd last night.  6 different tracks in a custom playlist - I could not tell where the tracks were playing from.  I had the identical tracks loaded next to each other - so I could just flip back and forth on the fly.

In every case the SLC microSD was a bit bolder - more dynamic and better resolved.  Incremental to be sure - but a definite discernible difference.

Anyone wants to try the 1GB SLC USB PM and I will sell it to you.

Jan 19, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #354 of 573
Just ordered this board to try out - I have a 12V Rcore to power it:  I really like it's variable voltage settings - wide input voltage range.

LT3045

Ultralow-noise (0.8 µVRMS) low-dropout linear regulators (DC-DC) 
The LT®3045 is a high performance low dropout linear regulator featuring LTC’s ultralow noise and ultrahigh PSRR architecture for powering noise sensitive applications.
Features
• Wide Input Voltage Range: 1.8V to 20V
• Output Voltage Range: 0V to 15V
• Output Current: 500mA
• Low Dropout Voltage: 260mV
• Ultralow RMS Noise: 0.8µVRMS (10Hz to 100kHz)
• Ultralow Spot Noise: 2nV/√Hz at 10kHz
• Ultrahigh PSRR: 76dB at 1MHz
• Multi output (PIN Configurable Vout=ΣOpenPINs) or Single Resistor Programs Output Voltage (best performance - available by request, please PM )
• Built-In Fixed Current Limit and Thermal Shutdown
• PCB size: 25x35mm
• Operating Temperature Range:–40°C to 125°C

Package includes
1 x Fully completed and tested LT3045 PCB
1 x 3PIN straight headers with Jumper(ON/OFF)
BOM (Bill of Materials)
LT3045 : IC, Low Noise Power Solution, Linear Technology  – United States
GRM31CR71E106KA12L x2 : Cap Ceramic 10uF 25V X7R 10% SMD 1206, Murata – Japan
GRM31MR71E105KA01L x1 : Cap Ceramic 1uF 25V X7R 10% SMD1206, Murata –

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LT3045-Ultralow-noise-0-8-VRMS-LDO-linear-regulators-0V-15V-0-5A-1V-Step-/252719753860?hash=item3ad7456a84:g:aGwAAOSwA3dYdhLA

Jan 19, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #355 of 573
I just got Startech and only took about 5 minutes with him, and the first song, first seconds, and I've heard something that was previously overlooked. Specifically when a singer sucks air before singing.
It is still too early to have a decided opinion on more factors, but for the moment is what I have perceived.

It is expensive and it is possible that there are people who are not worth the extra price, but I have clear, if you seek to squeeze the most of our equipment, is a great, tool.
The increase in listening to the smallest details, is impressive.

Before I already had a very good sound with the SU-1 and a Nano iUSB 3.0, but for now I've noticed a difference. Much smaller detail.

I will continue to give more opinions ..... go, again, second song and another detail background that was previously unnoticed. Thank you very much RB2013 and for everyone who has also collaborated :wink:

Precisely RB2013, yesterday I asked the seller, Alexey for a replacement of an LM317 and LM337 to tell me if they could connect several in parallel. To power the OPA outputs of a NAD M51 and the headphone amplifier and are not expensive.

It also has complete power supply´s in the catalog.

Yesterday I also saw in Ebay, a source with even better features of PSRR, but also more expensive, to see if I find the link and comment.

By the way, some of the sources Meiyan and Zerozone that have been commented here by the Chinese year-end problem, can also be obtained in Aliexpress and the internal circuitry of some of them, too.

One question, I am using a translator to communicate with everyone ¿Do I understand more or less what I mean or am I inaccurate?

Jan 19, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #357 of 573
  I just got Startech and only took about 5 minutes with him, and the first song, first seconds, and I've heard something that was previously overlooked. Specifically when a singer sucks air before singing.
It is still too early to have a decided opinion on more factors, but for the moment is what I have perceived.

It is expensive and it is possible that there are people who are not worth the extra price, but I have clear, if you seek to squeeze the most of our equipment, is a great, tool.
The increase in listening to the smallest details, is impressive.

Before I already had a very good sound with the SU-1 and a Nano iUSB 3.0, but for now I've noticed a difference. Much smaller detail.

I will continue to give more opinions ..... go, again, second song and another detail background that was previously unnoticed. Thank you very much RB2013 and for everyone who has also collaborated :wink:

Precisely RB2013, yesterday I asked the seller, Alexey for a replacement of an LM317 and LM337 to tell me if they could connect several in parallel. To power the OPA outputs of a NAD M51 and the headphone amplifier and are not expensive.

It also has complete power supply´s in the catalog.

Yesterday I also saw in Ebay, a source with even better features of PSRR, but also more expensive, to see if I find the link and comment.

By the way, some of the sources Meiyan and Zerozone that have been commented here by the Chinese year-end problem, can also be obtained in Aliexpress and the internal circuitry of some of them, too.

One question, I am using a translator to communicate with everyone ¿Do I understand more or less what I mean or am I inaccurate?

Yes you are coming in clear - great you like the Startech.  As I've said to really get it's benefits you need LPS on both REX and LEX.

I have been communicating with Alexey - no- unfortunately they can;t be paralleled.  Looks like I need a 6V transformer to run 5VDC...back to the transformer store!

I ordered the fixed (by resistor) 5VDC voltage version as he says they have lower noise then the adjustable version.

On the MEIYAN discrete design - there is this board available - as a kit.  I prefer the assembled and tested MEIYAN version.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121940137982?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Jan 19, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #358 of 573

I don't think so - based on the LT1019.

On the PSRR you need to see a freq range  - just a number means little as many LDO's have wildly varying PSRR by frequency.

Here they only quote 50Hz to 400Hz!  Of 90dB - pretty much worthless.  Need to see 10Hz to 100Khz numbers:

Now look on page 5 and see graph for Ripple Rejection - starts at 110dB at 100Hz then drops like a rock to 45dB at 100kHz +

http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/datasheet/1019fd.pdf

Jan 19, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #359 of 573
  Just ordered this board to try out - I have a 12V Rcore to power it:  I really like it's variable voltage settings - wide input voltage range.

LT3045

Ultralow-noise (0.8 µVRMS) low-dropout linear regulators (DC-DC) 
The LT®3045 is a high performance low dropout linear regulator featuring LTC’s ultralow noise and ultrahigh PSRR architecture for powering noise sensitive applications.
Features
• Wide Input Voltage Range: 1.8V to 20V
• Output Voltage Range: 0V to 15V
• Output Current: 500mA
• Low Dropout Voltage: 260mV
• Ultralow RMS Noise: 0.8µVRMS (10Hz to 100kHz)
• Ultralow Spot Noise: 2nV/√Hz at 10kHz
• Ultrahigh PSRR: 76dB at 1MHz
• Multi output (PIN Configurable Vout=ΣOpenPINs) or Single Resistor Programs Output Voltage (best performance - available by request, please PM )
• Built-In Fixed Current Limit and Thermal Shutdown
• PCB size: 25x35mm
• Operating Temperature Range:–40°C to 125°C

Package includes
1 x Fully completed and tested LT3045 PCB
1 x 3PIN straight headers with Jumper(ON/OFF)
BOM (Bill of Materials)
LT3045 : IC, Low Noise Power Solution, Linear Technology  – United States
GRM31CR71E106KA12L x2 : Cap Ceramic 10uF 25V X7R 10% SMD 1206, Murata – Japan
GRM31MR71E105KA01L x1 : Cap Ceramic 1uF 25V X7R 10% SMD1206, Murata –

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LT3045-Ultralow-noise-0-8-VRMS-LDO-linear-regulators-0V-15V-0-5A-1V-Step-/252719753860?hash=item3ad7456a84:g:aGwAAOSwA3dYdhLA

Hi Rb cool board, but isnt it a DC/DC converter, is a 12V Rcore enough?...thanks

Jan 19, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #360 of 573

Hi Rb cool board, but isnt it a DC/DC converter, is a 12V Rcore enough?...thanks

The LT3045 is a low drop out linear regulator.  For 500mA @ 5VDC out he recommends 6V input.

The downside the board he sells has very little PS capacitor filtering.

Hi

Output can be set from 0 to 15V - output current upto 0.5A
and it is difficult to put in parallel - you need to connect sense circuit (this board not designed for parallel use)

Another point, if you have 12VAC transformer - you will have about 16VDC after rectifier, which is too much for 5VDC@0.5A operation
dissipated power will be (16-5)*0.5=6.5W !!!! this board can dissipate not more than 2W.

By other word try to make Vin lower (6VAC transformer should be fine)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back