USB static problem
Sep 18, 2008 at 11:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dandi

100+ Head-Fier
When my headphones are connected directly into my Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop the sound is fine. SQ is good using foobar 2000, WMP, Realplayer...

When I connect my HotAudio USB Dac/AMP then I get an annoying static sound in the right channel???

Dave at HotAudio replaced the DAC for me but the problem continues with the brand new one??

I had the USB DAC running through my Lunchbox II for several months and never had this happen. Running just the USB DAC/AMP combo the static is there all the time?? Sold the Lunchbox so can't hook it up to see if things change.

Help Me PLEASE
bigsmile_face.gif

My apologizes if this topic has been covered. I did search the forum but had no luck.

Thanks

Sep 19, 2008 at 11:35 AM Post #2 of 11
The problem is kinda hard to pin down from the other side of the world. My advice would be to try and figure out what is NOT the problem. Try another pair of headphones or speakers for example. Try DS instead of ASIO. DS is much more reliable than ASIO if you are not really sure what you are doing. There is no way to mess DS up.

Try to get something which lets you use the RCA outputs (assuming I am looking at the right DAC/amp combo) If those work the problem isn't the computer or the DAC section of your amp.

My guess is that either the headphone output jack is defect or oxidized ( I hope oxidized is a word, I translated it with babelfish) or a similar problem with your headphone jack. Since the DAC/amp is new it's very unlikely it has been oxidized already, but you never know. I couldn't find any info on whether the 3.5mm/1/8" output is gold plated or not.

You might also have been using another jack with the lunchbox (6.3mm/ 1/4") than you are using right now which seems to be a 3.5mm/1/8". That might be the problem as well.

Just some suggestions. I hope it helped a bit.

Sep 19, 2008 at 12:27 PM Post #3 of 11
excellent observations EnOYiN
you got me off thinking about the DAC and looking at other possibilities. I think the problem is solved and it was a bad headphone cable or cable connection.
THANKS

Sep 19, 2008 at 12:28 PM Post #4 of 11
I'd imagine it is some problem with the analogue output of the dac/amp, or further analogue connections. Trying the stuff EnOYiN suggested should narrow things down a bit.

EDIT: You posted while I was typing. Glad you have found the problem.

Sep 19, 2008 at 12:35 PM Post #5 of 11
Thanks joshd
This is a good reminder for me to remember to keep a broad awareness when dealing with things. I kind of focused on the DAC and forgot to see the big picture.

Sep 19, 2008 at 12:36 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by dandi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
excellent observations EnOYiN
you got me off thinking about the DAC and looking at other possibilities. I think the problem is solved and it was a bad headphone cable or cable connection.
THANKS

You are welcome. Now I still have a question remaining myself; Is 'oxidized' actually a word?
tongue.gif

Sep 19, 2008 at 12:39 PM Post #7 of 11
It sure is: oxidized
One entry found.

Main Entry:
ox·i·dize Listen to the pronunciation of oxidize
Pronunciation:
\ˈäk-sə-ˌdīz\
Function:
verb
Inflected Form(s):
ox·i·dized; ox·i·diz·ing
Date:

transitive verb 1 : to combine with oxygen 2 : to dehydrogenate especially by the action of oxygen 3 : to change (a compound) by increasing the proportion of the electronegative part or change (an element or ion) from a lower to a higher positive valence : remove one or more electrons from (an atom, ion, or molecule)

Sep 19, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #10 of 11
Haha, sure seems like a word indeed. Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spelt "oxidise" in the UK though
wink.gif

Yeah, that was one I found as well. My first hunch was 'oxidated'. But the dictionary I've got installed in my browser didn't agree and wasn't able to give me a proper suggestion either.

If you are trying to be able to communicate in several languages it stays hard because of these things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back