USB soundcard
Feb 3, 2005 at 4:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

lancesir

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I need some suggestions for a USB soundcard for work. My work computer has no sound so I was thinking I can get a USB soundcard and plug it in that way. But the catch is that I won't have administrator privileges on my work computer, so that means anything I get will have to work with Windows standard drivers, just like plugging in a mouse.

My budget is under $100. Thanks!

Feb 3, 2005 at 6:13 PM Post #2 of 9
Maybe Audiotrak Optoplay? It doesn't require any driver installation.

Feb 4, 2005 at 1:36 AM Post #4 of 9
My (sold) Philips Aurilium works without drivers. You can get it on eBay for only like 40 bucks, (the Aurilium uses the same DAC as the ESI Gigaport AG, which is supposed to be the Optoplay's bigger brother or something).

Feb 4, 2005 at 3:33 AM Post #5 of 9
I use a Xitel HiFi-Link AN1 at work on Windows 2000. It only uses the built-in USB Audio Device drivers so should work fine for you. It's about $50 I think.

It sounds pretty good to me -- I'm using it with a Gilmore Lite amp and Sennheiser HD650 cans.

If you're using low impedence phones, you may be able to listen right out of the DAC, but amped will be better.

Feb 4, 2005 at 3:49 PM Post #6 of 9
Another vote for the Xitel AN-1, a very cheap and handy way to get sound without messing about with drivers. Only thing is, output isn't terribly loud (on my Mac Mini), but that may be more a reflection on my headphones than anything else.
Andrew

Feb 4, 2005 at 4:32 PM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

I haven't had time to look for the specs of all these, though I know a local store that carries the Optoplay at least.

Feel free to keep the suggestions coming, you can never have *too* many choices
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2005 at 7:00 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by cetoole
How about the DP-U50, it sounds pretty good, and gives you the option to hook other sources up besides the computer.

Not a good idea IMO. The thing is huge!
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back