USB soundcard recommendations?
Aug 5, 2004 at 11:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

mtbiac

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to get some sort of USB external sound card for my new IBM T42p laptop. I don't really want to spend more than $100 on it, and obviously, the cheaper the better. Digital IN/OUT would be required (I'll use this to record stuff from my guitar). I'll be using this with my A900s and occasionaly e3c (used in portable rig mostly).

I'm reading alot of good stuff about the Transit and am seriously considering buying it, but what other USB soundcards should I checkout? also - is it possible to get a good deal at guitarcenter on one of these, such as with the EMU?

thanks

Aug 6, 2004 at 12:25 AM Post #2 of 17
Get the Transit. It's exactly what you want, has proper bit-perfect drivers as well as ASIO, and it sounds good too.

You can always try to negotiate prices at Guitar Center.

Aug 6, 2004 at 4:07 AM Post #3 of 17
does the transit have s/pdif IN or optical IN? I wanna be able to record stuff on my computer from the s/pdif output on my guitar's amp.

does guitar center carry the transit? its kinda far away from me :-/

thanks

Aug 6, 2004 at 5:32 AM Post #4 of 17
You might look at the M-Audio Audiophile USB, it has S/PDIF in/out. ASIO is supported only upto 48khz but you can use kernel streaming for 24/96 output. I got it for $150 at Guitar Center after some price negotiation.

Aug 6, 2004 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 17
Check out also the ESI Waveterminal U24
wink.gif

Aug 7, 2004 at 12:24 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
You might look at the M-Audio Audiophile USB, it has S/PDIF in/out. ASIO is supported only upto 48khz but you can use kernel streaming for 24/96 output. I got it for $150 at Guitar Center after some price negotiation.

is the Audiophile my cheapest option with S/PDIF INPUT (coax, RCA type connector) ?? This is imperative for recording stuff from my guitar. And I'm assuming the sound quality on this thing is very good? I'm currently using an AV710 in my desktop (which I just sold
frown.gif
) and the sound quality is pretty impressive. If I can get this good or better for under $150 in a mobile soundcard I'd be a happy man
smily_headphones1.gif

the Audiophile USB looks like the perfect soundcard for me - great quality playback, all of the connections I need and then some (I could def. use the 1/4" inputs also w/guitar stuff
smily_headphones1.gif
) it's just a tad bit expensive, but Its probably well worth the $$. Plus, I could get it locally at Guitar center
smily_headphones1.gif

Let me know if there are any cheaper atlernatives worth checking out though....

THANKS

Aug 7, 2004 at 10:41 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by richx
The Waveterminal U24 sounds pretty good too - I don't know if it's available at your place or not, but anyhow here's something for you to check out:
ESI Waveterminal U24

uhh yeah you already told us about that. It's way too much though at around $230-240.

$150 is a bit much as is...

thanks though

Aug 8, 2004 at 2:55 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by richx
sorry *blur* hehe ...
biggrin.gif

hah no problem man, sorry if I came off rude...

I'm thinking of just picking up the Audiophile at GuitarCenter today. Anything else I should checkout first? My main concerns are the the S/PDIF IN and sound quality for my A900/e3c
smily_headphones1.gif
(also, would I need my cmoy or are these things powerful enough?)

the audiophile also has an AC adapter which is nice... anybody have one and can comment?

THANKS

Aug 8, 2004 at 7:20 PM Post #11 of 17
well I got the audiophile USB for $170 at guitar center. Not a bad deal considering newegg had it for $166 + ship, and I didnt have to wait plus I can return it within 30days for refund.

I'll let you guys know how it works/sounds when I get it setup later (soon hopefully)
biggrin.gif

thanks

Aug 8, 2004 at 10:39 PM Post #14 of 17
I was curious, can somebody tell me if there is a noticeable sound quality difference between the M-Audio Transit and the Audiophile? I know the Audiophile has a lot of extra features, but I am just looking for quality listening at this point. If the sound quality of listening to my music is the same with both units, I will just get the Transit, but if the Audiophile sounds better than I may get that.

Also, any Mac Users out there using the Transit? I have heard there were some problems early on but have those been worked out? I am using the latest Panther OS version. Thanks.

Cheers,
dshea

Aug 8, 2004 at 10:40 PM Post #15 of 17
Oops, sorry, meant to start a new thread on this. Ignore here.

dshea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back