USB soundcard for Mac with microphone input
Sep 7, 2014 at 6:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

tozz

New Head-Fier
So I'm looking for a decent quality external sound card for my Mac.
I only want to use my Beyerdynamic MMX 300 with it, so it needs to have microphone input (3.5mm is what the headphones have by default).

So far I've tried the following;
The Beyerdynamic recommended sound card that you can get for $20 when you buy the headphones. Works like a charm, except it randomly distorts the mic input completely, making the other parties listening very frustrated.
Asus Xonar U7: The mic input is extremely low and not configurable at all (it doesn't support OSX, it was a gamble on my end).
Terratec Aureon Xfire 8 HD: Explicit support for OSX, too bad the quality is horrible. Mic input is noisy as hell and there's regularly a lot of high pitched noise in the headphones.

Seems like there's a lot of studio gear and instrument based solutions, but nothing on a more sane budget and without a gazillion of cables from breakout boxes and such?

Sep 14, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #3 of 3
Should probably been clear about that it's an hackingtosh :) The onboard inputs are very noisy on the motherboard, but after some more testing (I tried the Mixamp pro from Astro) I'm starting to think the USB chipset is really bad, that or there's a ground loop messing things up (never had any issues with other machines in the same setup though).
The Mixamp isn't known for its quiet operations, but it was beyond horrible when I tried it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back