USB soundcard for Linux
Jan 30, 2007 at 11:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

pcolbeck

100+ Head-Fier
Hi

I have an old Laptop with USB 1.1 and want a USB soundcard that will run under Linux (probably Ubuntu). In the main I will be using this card with my Windows XP work laptop for listening to music on or training materials on headphones but occasionally will want to use it with my older laptop and Linux for plugging into a PA to provide music at parties etc. Absolute sound quality is not a requirement as I have a tube headphone amp and a proper HiFi for that but I would like better quality than the rubbish on board laptop sound.

Any recomendations ? I have been looking at the TERRATEC Aureon 5.1 USB MKII but cannot find any reviews.

Thanks

Pat

Jan 30, 2007 at 2:06 PM Post #3 of 6
I have a few headphones including Senn HD600s but would probably be using mainly Senn PX200s as they are what I travel with. I guess I am willing to spend around £100.

BTW wasn't the link you posted a list of DACs rather than USB sound cards ?

Jan 30, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #6 of 6
I'd guess a soundcard like the Audigy 2 NX that I own might fit the bill. It's powered via USB or the included PSU. It has RCA and toslink digital outputs as well as 1/8" analog outputs. It's also well below the £100 mark.

http://www.creative.com/products/pro...5&product=9103

Users who are viewing this thread

Back