USB soundcard for laptop that includes amp to drive HD595
Nov 5, 2010 at 8:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Azsen

New Head-Fier
G'day all,

My Sennheiser HD595s have arrived today and they sound a lot nicer than my old HD515s however the 515s seem to have more bass. 
confused_face_2.gif
  I haven't burned the 595s in yet but I was reading on here that might improve the bass after a solid burn-in... I'm using them on my laptop unamped which has onboard Intel ICH7 HD Audio / Realtek ALC861 HD Audio device.

Anyway the 3.5mm headphone port on my laptop broke a few days, it still works but it crackles if you move it slightly. So I wonder if getting an external sound card (including amp) would make things sound a lot better? Or do I need to buy a sound card and amp? I'm thinking a USB sound card, my current laptop has an Express Card slot but they seem to going out of fashion on new laptops with USB 3 replacing it. So ideally I'd want to future proof my purchase so I can use the card on any new laptop I buy too.

Will be using it for:
  1. lossless music (50%)
  2. movies/TV shows (30%)
  3. games (20%).

Think the sound card needs:
  1. 3.5mm headphone output
  2. 3.5mm microphone input (for Skype),
  3. and two RCA outputs (optional) to hook it up to my 5.1 surround sound system.

I've had a hunt around and this is what I've come up with so far, but no idea if they will make an improvement over the onboard solution or if these will even work with games:
  1. E-MU 0404 USB 2.0
  2. Creative USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Go!
  3. Creative Sound Blaster Digital Music HD
  4. Creative USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1
  5. M-Audio Transit
  6. M-Audio Fast Track
  7. M-Audio Fast Track Pro

Any others I should consider? What should I get?

Thanks very much!

Nov 5, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #3 of 8
HD 595's are very easy to drive so you most likely don't need an extra amp.

Nov 6, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #4 of 8
Ok so if I don't need amp then I'm just looking at a USB sound card then, which can do decent music and still take some load off the CPU for games? Only Creative stuff? Or can other brands do just as well?

Nov 6, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #5 of 8
Which Windows version are u on and what games you wanna play? For Vista and 7 with newer games, HW acceleration in sound interface is getting irrelevant, as sound processing is done in software for them. From your requirements and the list you proposed the Creative SB Digiatal Music HD should be fine. Personally I think getting a good DAC and a webcam that has mic built in is better.

Nov 6, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #6 of 8
I'm on Vista at the moment, but eventually I will upgrade to a new laptop with Windows 7.  I see what you're saying about the sound in recent games getting done in software, but with the Music HD won't I be missing out on EAX Advanced HD stuff?

Nov 7, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #8 of 8
Ok great, couldn't see it mentioned on the Creative site but it says it on another site I found. Looks I like I'll get this one. Thanks for the help thuantran
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back