USB soundcard / DAC under $150 and vista x64 compatible
Aug 21, 2009 at 3:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

SYSTEM ALCHEMiST

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I'm looking for a good sound card or DAC with USB input under $150 and compatible with Vista x64. My current setup is on-board sound + M-Audio AV30 + Perreaux SXH-1 amp + HD650.

Since I already have an amp for my headphones and my speakers are powered, I guess a DAC here would be the logical option, please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm going to be using the DAC for outputting to my AV30s and headphone amp.

BTW I'm guessing DACs are for converting signals only, so I'm not gonna get any Dolby / EAX or any of those technologies like you can get from sound cards, right?

And finally, the most important one, it has to be Vista x64 compatible, I'm not planning on OS change for at least 3 more yrs.

Thanks!

smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 21, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #2 of 16
After doing more look around, seems like USB DACs does not require vista driver as they just considered as USB audio devices?

And Also, some of the chinese DACs seems sweet, like the Zhaolu D2.5A and Tianyun Zero 09', and judging from the reviews, seems like they're way better than most of the DACs at the same price range?

Aug 22, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #4 of 16
I bought a gamma1 dac from the for sale forum. I use it in the usb mode, but it also has optical and coax inputs (actually, there are usb only models, too). I love it. I run Vista x64, and it is plug and play. There are plenty of threads on it if you search on it.

Aug 22, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #5 of 16
I been reading alot about the Zero DAC also. It does seem like a good value. It is also an amp - which you already have, so you might just look for a standalone DAC.

But its all hard to judge since you cant go anywhere regularly and test out any of this equipment. I wouldn't want to purchase one and find out it doesn't sound any different than onboard sound.

Aug 23, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #7 of 16
When you start looking again, check out Headroom's Total Bithead.

It has a DAC and does everything you want it to do.
You can use it for either a desktop or portable system -- or both.
And it won't bust your wallet, at $159.

Cheers,

Aug 24, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #9 of 16
Not familiar with it.

Aug 25, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #11 of 16
I just received the Bithead yesterday. I bought it off the FS forums $90 shipped. Totally worth it. I haven't been able to buy batteries for it, so I've just been using it in USB mode, which is awesome. But it's suppose to be even better with new batteries.

Aug 26, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy*Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there anyway to power the bithead with an AC adapter, or do you have to use batteries?

It takes power from the usb port or batteries.

Aug 26, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #14 of 16
Musiland SVDAC06 is $120 shipped on Ebay.

I love mine.

Aug 26, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #15 of 16
get Essence or Claro Halo. They are pretty hard to beat for its price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back