USB Soundcard/Audio Interface for recording
Feb 5, 2008 at 1:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Ross

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a good quality USB soundcard or audio interface for recording to PC, mainly from vinyl and radio broadcasts. The A/D converter is more important to me than the DAC or headphone out, since I can use an external DAC and headphone amp. Ideally I would like RCA inputs, but I can live with XLR or TRS inputs if necessary and use an adapter. Budget is up to around $500 - maybe more if absolutely necessary, but preferably as much below that as possible.

Any suggestions?

Feb 5, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #3 of 9
I will eventually be burning to CD so probably 16/44.1, but it would be nice to have the higher resolutions if possible.

Feb 5, 2008 at 6:56 AM Post #4 of 9
After some more searching I have found exactly what I am looking for: a Presonus Inspire. Any comments on this unit, positive or negative?

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #5 of 9
If you truly need USB, you don't want a Presonus, because all Presonus units are FireWire devices......that's why it's technically called the "Inspire 1394". Even though it has RCA's, it doesn't have phono RIAA EQ built-in, so you have to do the RIAA EQ in software--or use an outboard phono preamp upstream of the device, which might be your plan anyway, perhaps?

Also, there are no level pots on the unit--that's all handled via a software control panel, and I've read reviews in which users have stated that it would be easier to use with physical controls.

An alternative would E-MU 0404 USB for $150 less instant $25 rebate at Music123.com...not in stock, expected February 18, free shipping included. The 0202 USB is less expensive, but probably only by $20-30.

Feb 5, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will eventually be burning to CD so probably 16/44.1, but it would be nice to have the higher resolutions if possible.

If you plan to archive music to hard disk too then, why not record using 24/32-bit @ 88/96kHz and save it in lossless format (as WMA or other lossless HQ format). It's quite easy and fast to do dithering and SRC then for CD format ... Voxengo r8brain free is an excellent tool for this.

- Voxengo (Rated: SRC Comparisons)

As said already, it's hard to beat E-MU 0404 USB in quality
tongue.gif
price but, as you become interested on Inspire, does that mean you need a RIAA pre-amplifier there too?

jiitee

Feb 5, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for the replies. I looked at the EMU 0404 but it was hard to find at a reasonable price locally (or was out of stock) and it would need some cable adapters as well. The Presonus Inspire has has some very good reviews (it is apparently sonically identical to the more expensive Firebox). Firewire rather than USB will be okay with my set up. The Inspire does have an RIAA eq, although I will be recording from my external phono stage (which is very high quality). Good idea to archive in 24/96, I think I will try this.

Feb 5, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #9 of 9
Sorry about my confusion re the Inspire and its RIAA EQ.....I deleted the erroneous info above.

Because my PC and notebook both have FireWire, and I have a lot of USB devices but no FireWire devices, I was leaning toward an FW solution before getting the 0404 USB. With the issues that some users have with USB popping/crackling (apparently due to driver conflicts that are quite hard to sort out) the Presonus seems like it might be the safest solution and best bang for your buck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back