USB Sound card/DAC for laptop
Oct 19, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #16 of 32
Ah good to know! Great I can save some cash! I'll keep taking a look into the recommended DACs then. If I bump up my budget a smidge, what do you suggest to be an excellent 5.1 or 7.1 DAC (portable for travel reasons)? Sorry thanks for helping me out so much I'm learning bit by bit

Oct 19, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #18 of 32
Unfortunately, there aren't quality 5.1 USB DACs for gaming purposes. Quality wise, I think the Creative X-Fi HD USB is the best USB DAC with gaming audio support, and while it's 2.0/2.1 only, I do recommend it over the X-Fi Surround 5.1 as it has better components that do translate into higher SQ.

So, it's important to ask yourself if 5.1 output is more important than higher SQ. For headphone usage, 5.1 isn't really of much consequence, while SQ is far more important.
Is there any reason why you want 5.1?

Proxymanity, keep in mind the X-Fi Surround 5.1 outputs 5.1, not 7.1.

Oct 19, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #19 of 32
You know what? I don't have any reason in particular why I would need any kind of 5.1/7.1 sound really. I just thought it would sound cool for game stuff, but I never had it so its not necessary. I guess I'll just stick to other DACs then?

Oct 19, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #20 of 32
In that case, the Creative X-Fi HD USB is the option you should get. All other DACs mentioned on the thread have zero gaming audio features. Also, the X-Fi HD USB DAC is quite good and you certainly won't feel quality lacking, therefore it is a performing DAC for music and movies as well.

Oct 20, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #22 of 32
The X-Fi Titanium and Xonar Essence STX are PCIe cards.

Oct 20, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #23 of 32
Hi,

I want to use this thread to ask for recommendations regarding a USB sound card for PC.

It will not be used for gaming, neither for movies. Only to hear music thru headphones (currently Sennheiser HD 558, but I will update it probably in the future). Nor I have interest on it to be specially portable. At the moment I hear mostly Apple Lossless files, but I would like to have some HD music as well.

If the price is below 200 Euros it will be better, but I prefer to buy something more or less good at once, so I could spend a little more.

What can you recomend to me?

Many thanks for your answers.

Oct 20, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:
Hi,

I want to use this thread to ask for recommendations regarding a USB sound card for PC.

It will not be used for gaming, neither for movies. Only to hear music thru headphones (currently Sennheiser HD 558, but I will update it probably in the future). Nor I have interest on it to be specially portable. At the moment I hear mostly Apple Lossless files, but I would like to have some HD music if I can.

If the price is below 200 Euros it will be better, but I prefer to buy something more or less good at once, so I could spend a little more.

What can you recomend to me?

Many thanks for your answers.

Well, there are a few options available within your budget. Both Fiio E17 and iBasso D7 are solid options, providing additional amplification to boot.

Oct 20, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #25 of 32
Quote:
You know what? I don't have any reason in particular why I would need any kind of 5.1/7.1 sound really. I just thought it would sound cool for game stuff, but I never had it so its not necessary. I guess I'll just stick to other DACs then?

Definitely this. Those 5.1 and 7.1 are generally gimicky when used through headphones, and almost always sound inferior by a stretch. Using a pair of AKG K701 and a good amp, I had a much better sense of space and distance using a stereo 2.0 sound. 

Oct 20, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #28 of 32
Quote:
Hi Roller,

Can the Fiio E17 drive the Sennheiser HD 600? I do not have those (yet), so I ask it only out of curiosity.

Thanks for your answer.

It shouldn't have issues driving it adequately and to loud levels.

Are you interested on the HD600?

And I'm glad to help :)

Oct 20, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #29 of 32
Hi ElWappo99, Roller,

Thanks for the answers.

Yes I am interested in some better Sennheiser Headphones from what I have now, but in the future. I read here that those headphones (HD 600) are not so easy to drive because of the impedance, and that they are very sensible to hiss and noises.

Thanks again,

Daniel

Oct 20, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #30 of 32
Quote:
Hi ElWappo99, Roller,

Thanks for the answers.

Yes I am interested in some better Sennheiser Headphones from what I have now, but in the future. I read here that those headphones (HD 600) are not so easy to drive because of the impedance, and that they are very sensible to hiss and noises.

Thanks again,

Daniel

The E17 DAC is quite nice, and the amp section is not so bad, but you can always run the E17 DAC with a more powerful amp, like the Headstage Arrow or C421.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back